Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Fuel Pump Relay

mitch01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX exec. ser.1
Who knows anything about the problems with the fuel pump relay in VX's?? Apparently they are a common thing to have problems with in this model.
Any ideas on how to fix it? can you implement a separate relay???

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
If you are having problems with it, get the latest type, its identified by a white stripe on top rather than a blue one.
these have a much better life.
if you are not having problems with it .... leave it alone.

Rob

mitch01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX exec. ser.1
Thanks for the info.
I'm not sure if its the cause of my problem, but i'm having a starting problem where i need to depress the accelerator during start-up to get the thing to start, otherwise it just cranks over - then stops.
might be worth looking into. thanks

Holdentryagnoser

Reaction score
Members Ride
Standard VY supercharged v6 commodore
Sorry to hijack this thread, but it is related...Ok, first off, I have read A LOT of threads here, never been into joining chats, but from what I have read, there are A LOT of very knowledgeable people here, and just reading threads here has helped me so much in the past, I have joined, to A, share my knowledge if and where ever I can...and B, guys, I really need some help and cannot seem to find what I'm looking for anywhere at all. I have been to the library, the polytechnics library and have been all through this forum looking for the help I need, to no avail. I am currently working on a VX with a no start issue. Drove it in the morning, started fine and ran well, was only short drive maybe 15min max, started it again same day but in the evening, again started and ran beautifully. Next morning though......no go. And hasn't since. I can start it using "start ya bastard" but it won't run. So in saying that, it says to me it's fuel. I Removed the fuel feed pipe to the injectors @ the firewall, turned key to the on position expecting a bloody good squirt.....and nothing. Swapped fuel relay to a known good one and checked fuse under bonnet, tried again and still nothing. I then removed the fuel tank and pump and installed another known good one, and still nothing. I have checked all the wiring from the pump back to the relay and I get no volts at the pump apart from 5.7 volts? Not even enough to run the pump. I really don't know what I'm missing. It does have an aftermarket single din stereo, but I've checked that wiring and seems ok. Guys I'm lost, any help would be great.....please

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Check the contacts where the relay plugs in. They could be corroded resulting in the voltage drop.

Holdentryagnoser

Reaction score
Members Ride
Standard VY supercharged v6 commodore
Have checked that mate thank you. I've pretty much checked everything. All connections and loom between them too. Have pulled pump out again now an checking everything at the pump now

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
From VX Commodore common problems:

Starting Problems

1. Some VX's may have starting issues caused by a defective Fuel Pump relay (or have no low beam headlights, as the Low Beam relay is the same as the fuel pump relay). A revised relay was introduced late 2000. In case of starting or headlamp problems, the old relay (92047112) should not be used.
Relay - Part number 92107897

2. Some starting issues can be cause by the BCM (Body Control Module). The BCM may electronically lock up or freeze (caused by voltage spikes), which may restrict starting, locking and unlocking etc. Some BCM's were returned under warranty because of these issues. In some situations, the key reader circuit may be a potential source of a voltage spike, and a grounding patch harness was released to reduce this occurrence.

VXII Body Control Module Mid Series - Part number 92109212
VXII Body Control Module Low Series - Part number 92109213
VXI Body Control Module Mid Series - Part number 92145251
VXI Body Control Module Low Series - Part number 92145250

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The BCM is up behind the dash, above the fuse panel. to remove, push the bottom of the BCM towards the front of the vehicle to release the clips, then pull down.