Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Fuel pump -whats the common sign for imminent failure?

Mr Blackstock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 3.8l V6
Hello,

The other day my VX refused to start, disconnecting the fuel line, turning the engine over and no petrol coming out pointed at two things: fuel pump buggered or relay/fuse. I checked the fuse, fine. I swapped the relays out with some spares and the car started! Sweet I thought.

Went back this arvo to start car... wont start. No fuel coming out while engine turning over. Relay swap came to nothing, fuse was fine.

So, before I drop the tank, purchase a special bloody tool to remove the fuel lines, then purchase a new fuel pump... is there something else that could cause the pump to occasionally work? Or is it pretty much the pump is buggered?

I checked the earth wire near the RHR wheel, its solid too.

Cheers, Gareth

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Tap the tank with a broom handle while cranking.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
make sure to buy genuine as many aftermarket pumps are not great

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Fuel pump on my ls1 vy was on it's way out luckily it had a schrader valve on fuel rail when pressed it no fuel pressure.

Had to get up under rear of car belt fuel tank with palm in middle of tank more toward fuel nozzle...then crank her over to fire.

It will work for a little while...eventually pump will cut out on you when least want it to conk out.

Mine started playing up during 2 week work training courses & ofcourse last day it died on way to do final asessment...had replacement pump just needed day off to change it over.

Mr Blackstock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 3.8l V6
Thanks for the tip, worked a treat, I could hear the pump wirring away. At least now I can move the car off the street to drop the tank in the privacy of the garage. Saves everyone walking past me working away thinking "typical Holden.. unreliable antique"

Even though she has given me 340,000kms over 20 years almost faultlessly, beat that VW!

I'll head into supercheap and get a decent fuel pump... genuine might hit the wallet too hard... i'll see.

Thanks again, Gareth

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The issue is they are a complete unit and the aftermarket senders rarely work for long.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Try to siphon out as much fuel as you can it will make job easier to do.

Go with decent brand just don't expect fuel gauge to be as accurate as old factory item.

Few clips on youtube how to do it & iffy brands

Mr Blackstock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 3.8l V6
Well the job is done and the car is happily working... so far.

Annoyingly I fuelled up the car the day before having to try and siphone it all out... so I used a heap of coke 2lt bottles. The tank dropped pretty well, just three bolts. The one near the rear wheel was made easier to get to by jacking that side up, then I could get to the bolt when the car body moved higher. I had to go and buy the fuel line removal kit, around $15 I think, made the job very easy! I also bought a new fuel filter.

Thanks again to this forum for that tip.. I researched the prices on decent fuel pumps, Delphi, Goss, and Fuelmiser seem to be good brands.. but the price was more than I can afford right now, and I need the car for work in a day or two. So I removed a Delphi from a spare petrol tank I had. I figured a good second hand one might be better than a poor quality new one. (I figure you guys know better than me)

When running, the pump seems to run without any variations in noise level or pausing etc. So hopefully I get a few more years from it. While test driving the car I noticed the idle was perfect, and no hesitation in throttle response. Go figure.

Thanks again guys, hopefully the VX is problem free for awhile... I really wanna get 500,000kms from her..

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
When was the fuel filter last changed? Could be at least partially blocked.