Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX - Gutless

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
measured your 0-100km time? VX should be just over 9 secs. measure with a phone app should be easy and accurate. if the plugs and leads were changed before you bought it maybe they were chasing a problem? maybe wrong plugs? maybe a blocked exhaust with a cheap aftermarket cat?
if your car gets to 100km in under 10 secs its fine, measure each direction on a flattish road and average the times
my VX wagon did 0-100 in 9.44s and 0-60 in 4.55s, thats about right on with factory specs, but mine also has exhaust and k&N filter but that shouldn't really change much

VN SII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive SII - 91' - VX Executive SII - 02'
Plugs and leads etc were done with the 150k service which was apparently a Major, but that's the only service that they didn't have proof of. So I fail to believe they've done it. The leads look standard/cheap. Just black, no writing that I saw. And the Heat shields definitely haven't been replaced.
Took it to a local mechanic, only thing he suggested was to change Pulleys as they were showing signs of deterioration/making noises. Just forked out $250 for a new Alternator that cracked a mount on installation... So the O2 Sensors and Filters/Plugs and Leads will have to wait a week. Just keen to get it sorted, had to drive my Sisters VS to get the Alternator out of town, and it flew when accelerating, was heaps better on fuel too. Took half of what my Car usually would and it's stock.
A mate suggested the fuel I use could have something to do with it? I run 95, my VN and my Sisters VS, mates VT's etc all run 91. I thought the 95 was better for the Engine? (Might be a dumb question, but I'm no mechanic just trying to cover all bases)
So with these times, are we talking shifting (It's an Auto). Power button on to set the revs back, or just putting it in D and flooring it?

inSight

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VX
my VX wagon did 0-100 in 9.44s and 0-60 in 4.55s, thats about right on with factory specs, but mine also has exhaust and k&N filter but that shouldn't really change much

That for an auto? Redbook is showing around 8.5s for 0-100km/h for manual and over 9s for auto.

Also in regards to fuel, unless your car specifically recommends the use of 95RON or 98RON then you will get next to no benefits and it will cost you more. At least not for the extra cost. If you drive mostly on the highway like I do than you may see some benefits such as improved fuel economy but not sure if it makes up for the extra cost. I use 98RON for it's cleaning agents and improved highway fuel economy. And the fact it's only around $5 or so more expensive to top up so it's pocket change.

VN SII

Reaction score
Members Ride
Think I found the biggest problem. Tailshaft is now clunking, so my guess is it's been delayed for some time atleast. Had the same issue with my VN, new Tailshaft and it picked up harder and stopped clunking.
Got new Uni Joints Spare but don't have the Vice or anything to do the Centre Bearing if it's rooted.

JeremyF50

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rusty V8 Meat Wagon
Lol you turned your high beams on by accident driving one handed :p

The VX is a bit heavier than the VS though lighter than the VT. All good suggestions in this thread.

VN SII

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lol you turned your high beams on by accident driving one handed :p

The VX is a bit heavier than the VS though lighter than the VT. All good suggestions in this thread.
Yeah was waiting for someone to say something about the High-beam haha. Was 4 Roundabouts and a heap of corners, knew I'd either indicate wrong or hit the high-beam ><.
Getting Happier with the Car, after every suggestion. All helping a little, and it's adding up. Wish I had a video of it before this one even, cause the RPM needle would crawl, like 1mm a second it was so sluggish. Still not ideal, but it'll get there. Just need some time off work to install a few things, got new Leads, Plugs, O2 Sensors, Fuel & Air Filters, New Uni Joints. And hopefully new Idler Pulleys next week. Even a new Waterpump as it was making some noise. If it's still sluggish after ALL of that, I'd assume a manifold is blocked. Then an actual mechanic can have a go at finding the issue haha.

JeremyF50

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rusty V8 Meat Wagon
Glad to hear you're having some success. This cold winter air should help too haha :) You're more persistent than me.

Where is the O2 sensor located specifically? I heard it's in the exhaust somewhere. What's involved in cleaning/replacing it?

VN SII

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ha true? Just want my Car to act like it should, spent 5k onroad (12 months rego), cause of the Low k's. Cheapest VX I could find with Low K's at the time, best condition. Few months later, all my mates are getting VY's and VX Calais for the price I paid for mine, so I atleast want mine to run half decently or it was just an even bigger waste of cash haha.
As for the O2 Sensors, I haven't done them on a VX before, only my VN. VN's only had one, they're located on the Exhaust Manifold, on the VN's it was on the right. The Ecotechs have 2, one either side of the Engine. Just gotta unclip and unscrew them. I think it was a 17mm? For my VN. Cleaning, I'd assume using any Sensor Cleaner would be fine, I've only ever replaced them. Just make sure your Car has been sitting there for awhile, or the Manifold won't be a friend. Before buying a new O2 Sensor, check how many Wires yours has. They vary apparently. My VN had 2, my Dad's HQ With the same VN Engine had 3. Vs's had 4? I think? And some VX's have 3 some have 4 apparently. I'd assume it'd be the same with the VY's too.

VN SII

Reaction score
Members Ride
So I finally ended up just taking my Car down to the Mechanics, and found out the issue. The Gearbox... Although it's a low K Car the Filter has filled with Metal and is letting some float around and crap. It's burning the Bands and won't take a beating. They're going to Flush and do a small reconditioning on it this Friday. They said it'll go one of two ways. The flush won't do much just prolong it's life to 3 odd years, then it'll be screwed. Or it'll flush the crap out before it's had a chance to do any proper damage and it'll run smooth and fast. So hopefully it's the smooth and fast case >< haha.

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
Yea it can be the transmission. I just bought a Honda Crv and I am having a similar problem. I checked the tranny fluid and oh my gosh it was double overfilled. I will have to drain it and fill the right amount. My car also has lack of power.