Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX head unit

daniel_lumina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina
I need to know if i can still control a custom fitted head unit with the VX Lumina stock/standard steering wheel with the controls (mute, volume, etc...)? Anybody?

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
Yes depending on the headunit you buy. Most name brands can be controlled by a steering wheel interface. One brand is called a CAT-10f which is the latest model incorporating Fusion headunits. This does not support a double din sized Pioneer units. The new CAT-11 is coming out soon which will allow the Pioneer to be controlled. The second brand by pac-audio works with the Pioneer units by connecting the interface to its remote steering wheel input.
There are 2 ways to control the new unit and that is 1: By infrared signal aimed at the infrared receiver that you point your remote control at which was the first type of steering wheel control interfaces used. The disadvantage of this method that its line of sight and requires a LED to be installed into the car and aimed at the new stereo. So it changes the factory look of the car which is undesirable to a lot of people. The second way is the new unit having a wired steering wheel remote input at the back of the unit which you plug your interface into without seeing an LED in the car.

Oh a 3rd guy who calls himself alien or whatever has been telling us for 2 years now that hes going to make a really cheap one. mmmm..... still waiting.

Hsv is king

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SS
Hi i had a vx aclaim and i used the cat brand controler to control the pioneer head unit.

It is very easy to install it takes about 20 mins and the ir sender that comes with the unit i installed it in the interior light and ran the cable through the roof and down the besides where the seat belt goes.

Had it installed for about three years and had no issues with it.