Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Headunit in VT - Issues?

Lord-Data

Reaction score
Website
www.VIDGuide.com
Members Ride
Impulse Blue VE SV6
Ok, before I ask if I can, heres the plan:

I'm sick of my ipod via FM transmitter, too staticy, and low quality, considering the ipod CAN output at 44khz, but is limited to 22 via FM. Anywho.. after looking into headunits that can link with the ipod, all i'm finding is units that are also great cd and even dvd players by themselves, mp3 and the lots, but I dont need that if i've got an ipod! :)

So, I found a device that can hook up to the stacker interface (i've currently got a 10cd stacker) instead of the stacker, and interface to the ipod, for next/prev track, etc. So if i mounted a holder on the dash, i've got direct axs to the ipod controls, but keeping steering wheel controls for volume & back/next tracks.

Now, problem for my calais headunit, its tape desk only. CDs are only via stacker, which i'd lose with the ipod in its place, but i'd like teh ability to play CDs when mates are in teh car with their own CDs.

So, i found that the VX has an almost identical headunit, but with an inbuilt CD player.

Does anyone know if it is plug compatible with teh VT's wiring harness? Basicaly, i'd like to just slide the VT unit out, unplug, plug harnesses into VX unit, attach ipod adapter and bury inside dash, and put VT unit back in. Then the ipod adapter can run a cable out to the car holder, and its all set :)

Doable? :)

gruntavt

HSV-I Don't want one ;-)
Reaction score
Members Ride
vess-luckily
Yes, I had a VX unit in my VT plugs straight in.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
i love that idea mate, you got any more details on the device?

phat_com

VR IS A BEAST WITH NEW V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR s2 Acclaim/VK IS GONE :(
If you are buying a VX H/U make sure you get the Codes (you may know this but some ppl don't) otherwise you would have paid for a nice looking holden paper weight lol

Lord-Data

Reaction score
Website
www.VIDGuide.com
Members Ride
Impulse Blue VE SV6
Thanks for the tip Re pin number, i was aware, but always good to be sure :)

The product i've been looking at specifially is the Ice>Link Plus
http://www.dension.com/

under Compatability, it doesn't like holden/GM at all, but it DOES mention that *ALL* sony Unilink stacker connections are supported, and i'm 99% sure Eurovox is a rebadged sony, at least as far as the stackers are concerned.

Anyone able to confirm this?

Lord-Data

Reaction score
Website
www.VIDGuide.com
Members Ride
Impulse Blue VE SV6
Ok, confirmed, the eurovox stacker as used in VS/VT/VX is DEFINITELY a sony unit, which means that the Ice>Link Plus will indeed support the factory eurovox units. So, putting in a VX unit into a VT, gives in dash single-CD support, Tape Support, with ipod control via stacker interface. And even further, if you wanted to keep your stacker, there is even a higher model icelink with a switch to chose between ipod or stacker! :) (With that unit, you could probably just keep the VT unit)

http://www.smh.com.au/news/hardware/denison-icegtlink-plus/2006/03/01/1141191730503.html
^^ Local Review/Details about the unit, can't find many aussie suppliers tho, except the one mentioned in the article there:
http://thecarkitcompany.com.au/

Works out quite cost effective, assuming you already have an ipod ;)

Lord-Data

Reaction score
Website
www.VIDGuide.com
Members Ride
Impulse Blue VE SV6
Rough Costing:
Keep VT Headunit:
IceLinkPlus: $299, or $409 Fitted
and thats pretty much it.

VX Headunit:
IceLInkPlus: $299, or $409 Fitted
VX Headunit: ~$250-300
Sell old VT Unit & Stacker: ~$250-$300

Works out quite well really .. cheaper than most new units, while keeping factory look and wheel controls :)