Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx headunit stero upgrade

cracker

Reaction score
Just wondering if it is possible using the standard cassett/cd player in a vx ss too hook up a mp3 player somehow??? any ideas or link at all?
also is there any previsions for a sub/amp too be added using the same head unit?

not interested in replacing the head unit as i like be able too use the steering wheel controll and hate the look off after market headunits.

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
a lot of newer after markets now u can continue to use the steering wheel controls.... using a pac-swi adapter.... maybe check the ASR group 1st group on this website phreddy has a few things he can do to these units

teno45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Berlina
ASR Audio, a sponsor of the forum, does a mod for the stock head unit to add an auxilary input. Brilliant job too, had it done to my Berlina a few months ago. Obviously steering wheel controls still work. Doesnt control your mp3 player or anything tho. I am currently designing/building a unit to control my iPod from the steering wheel controls though....

cracker

Reaction score
so theres no real straight forward way of doing it your self?

teno45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Berlina
Well that all depends on your skills ad electrical knowledge. For the majority of people there's no easy "permanent" solution. There is always fm transmitters and cassette to 3.5mm adaptors. They won't do anything for a sub though. Only option there would be the ASR mods or some sort of LOC (line out converter) but alot of people swear against them.

cracker

Reaction score
electrical knowledge is pretty good, about 3months untill im an a grade electrician, and have rewired and built few engine looms before... just need some information on these head units...

teno45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Berlina
Well that's about where my knowledge stops and your google experience needs to start. I've got a few links at home that may help, I can put them up when I get home if you like. Apart from that can't help too much more sorry.

edit:
there was this one... but it turns out it no longer exsists... pity google didnt save the pictures! turns out a couple of my other links have gone the way of that one. sorry mate, cant help any more.

Last edited:

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
u can get a casette with a auxillary cord coming out of it from jb hi fi, harvey norman etc
to play ur mp3 on :)

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
ok looks like this so people understand what im saying

30pcs-lot-new-cassette-adapter-for-mp3-pmp-cd-dvd-pda-md-mp-427530.jpeg

cracker

Reaction score
cheers for the guys, used the tapedeck things in the past not a huge fan to be honest...