Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx Headunits?

Q

quiksilver

My VX (all VX's actually) has a double din unit as stock - but all the dd headunits I see look crap, have a useless cassette deck, or are close to two grand... do I have to have a double din unit?
If not, when I get it fitted what will they be likely to do to the gap? Do you know of any good double din units?

One more quick question - I haven't looked into it but got told once the steering controls (vol etc.) can't be hooked up to a new headunit because of the airbag. Doesn't make sense to me, but it is handy as hell so hope it isn't true...

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
You don't have to get a double din unit if you dont want to. You can get a single din unit and get an 'insert' put underneath it. It's pretty much like a 'shelf' where you chuck in ur spare change or whatever

I haven't looked at double dins myself coz I don't need it, but I suppose it depends what sort of features you're after. I have noticed though that they are a little expensive.

holdenlover

Reaction score
QUOTE You can get a single din unit and get an 'insert' put underneath it. It's pretty much like a 'shelf' where you chuck in ur spare change or whatever
Yup, had my previous car (VT) done (New deck + stacker).
Looked pretty damn good actually.

However, can't do it with my VX because as mentioned above, the steering controls would become useless.
Don't know about the "air bag" issue, I think you just have to find a deck with these aux imputs.

P

Prodigee

I've just put a single DIN head unit in my VT. It was dead easy.

Go to a MAZDA dealer, go to the spares counter and ask them for a single DIN dash pocket. It's a Ford / Mazda part (Yes, i have a ford part in my commodore. I don't know how i can live with myself!). It's just a single DIN plastic pocket that will fill the gap beautifully. It's secured with plastic clips at the sides, so it's easy to install and remove, but you can bolt it in for extra security.

Cost: $13, You can't go wrong!

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
When you change the double din stereo to a single din stereo it is possible to retain use of the steering wheel controls. A good car audio store should be able to do this for you but it will destroy the remote control that comes with your head unit. We had the same dilemma having a VT Calais, and decided it wasn't worth the money or bother to get them to do it, please yourself though, just letting you know it's a possiblity.

There are also things other than pockets to put in the spare space, they make cd holders now which don't look to bad, or you could just get an in dash tv like we did. Expensive hole filler though! lol

Julie

dsvtss

Reaction score
VT and VX commodores run about a 1 7/8 din stereo, a double din unit will NOT fit, don't bother trying.

Q

quiksilver

Hmm, why the hell did Holden make them like this?
I still haven't looked much into stereos yet (fund shortage), but Julie, how much was it to change the steering controls and why do they have to ruin the remote?

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Sorry I can't honestly remember how much they wanted to charge, maybe $150ish The reason why they remote gets ruined is because they use components in this to wire up the steering wheel controls. There was a story done on this in an old street commodores magazine.