Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX high rpm rattle/noise

red_spider

Reaction score
Members Ride
02' VXii Exec 9C1
hey guys
i have notice a really funny noise that my vx s2 makes.whenever it hits high rpm just before the gear change it makes a rattle likes somethings loose.my mechanic couldnt find anything wrong with it and you can only hear it if the stereo is off but i was curious to know if others have had the same thing.for example you hear the engine roar and then you hear the weird noise then the car changes gear.i think its most evident on gear changes from 2nd to 3rd but it could be 1st to 2nd aswel.

im sorting out another problem of my fuel system as i write this and im unsure if the two problems are related as i encountered this noise yesterday and it rung out and the car wouldnt change gear like the box flanged.its a 2002 seres 2 VX V6 auto.any help would be great.thanks

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
What kind of noise is it (metallic, ping, clang, bang)?

red_spider

Reaction score
Members Ride
02' VXii Exec 9C1
ping/clang

VXS5speed

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s pack manual
Sounds like a broken engine mount to me is it manual or auto

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Sounds like a broken engine mount to me is it manual or auto

If the engine mount was broken, you'd know it. As he revved the engine would make a lot of noise and you'd feel it crashing around in the bay (I know from experience in my car, it was like a fat kangaroo jumping on my car when gear changing).

Otherwise, I can't think of what it might be thought, just I think it unlikely to be a problem. Certainly I doubt the mounts have collapsed, they could be a little damaged and rough though - might pay to have them checked.

VXS5speed

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s pack manual
If its a manual it could possibly be the throw out bearing

Chino

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXSS
if its in the high revs and it sounds like an empty paint can rqattling round like crazy.. but not asloud it could be pinging...
**** bit of fuel maybe and its leaning out?

OH! haha i just read your having problems with your fuel system maybe its leaning out bad? dont give it **** till you sort out the fueling dramas my buddy..

Dan

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
Mine and another mate of mine with a VX S2 both have this weird muffled rattling sound at high rpms. it sounds like its coming from the dash pad, never actually cared enough to figure out what it was though as it only happens at high rpms.

Is this the same for you? Or does anyone else know what this could be?

PATTGR808

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY BERLINA
hi i have a 2003 vy berlina ex cop car and i have noticed when i stick my foot down, overtaking or at the lights, when it gets to about 3500rpm i have a very loud vibration noise coming from what appears to be under the bonnet some where. i have looked and looked for the answer to this problem but have been unsuccessful. even Holden told me its normal/common but i dont believe that for a second. its really starting to piss me off cause its only when i stick the foot down it makes that terrible noise. and yes it seems to be right before the gear changes. if any one out there does know a solution, please dont hold back and share with us. thanks