Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX horn and steering wheel controls not working- intermittent problem

damo_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1, VX Acclaim Wag
Hi all, have tryed the search function and just after more advice

Recently purchased VX acclaim wagon, horn and s/w controls not working, took fuse out to check saw it was OK so was replaced, both started working. Next time I went to drive car not working again. While replacing manifold gasket, battery was disconnected overnight, on reconnection started to work again, but as before only until next drive ?????

Could this be a faulty clock spring???? (no light on dash) or possibly something else ????(airbag module) Is there testing procedure for these things?

I have a Ellery workshop manual which I can"t find anything about this

Any help would be much appreciated

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Clock spring was the first thing that came to mind after reading your title, but I can't be sure about that.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey guys,

I done a search and found this thread and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

One of my cousins has given me their car for the weekend to replace the brakes, service the transmission, etc. It's a 2001 VX Executive and the steering wheel controls for the radio stop working intermittently. They told me about the problem a while ago but I never found the problem, so I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them, and knows how to fix it?

I can't honestly say if the horn is working or not as I haven't tried it.

Cheers,
Ben.

Last edited:

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey guys, horn works but steering wheel controls don't. Airbag light is NOT on, so I don't think its the clock spring. Any thoughts?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey guys, horn works but steering wheel controls don't. Airbag light is NOT on, so I don't think its the clock spring. Any thoughts?
It could still be the clock spring because there are three separate wire ribbon type things in there, one for the air bag, one for the horn and one for the controls.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
It could still be the clock spring because there are three separate wire ribbon type things in there, one for the air bag, one for the horn and one for the controls.

Oh ok, I just went out and tested all the fuses and they were all ok. I'll just tell them that if they want them working again they will probably have to get the clock spring replaced. I probably wont do that myself. I took my VS Berlina to a Holden dealer to have the clock spring replaced as I didn't want to risk setting off the airbag.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh ok, I just went out and tested all the fuses and they were all ok. I'll just tell them that if they want them working again they will probably have to get the clock spring replaced. I probably wont do that myself. I took my VS Berlina to a Holden dealer to have the clock spring replaced as I didn't want to risk setting off the airbag.
I am not saying that it is the clock spring just that it is a possibility. If you disconnect the battery before removing the clock spring it will eliminate an accidental deployment of the air bag and the air bag warning light.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I am not saying that it is the clock spring just that it is a possibility. If you disconnect the battery before removing the clock spring it will eliminate an accidental deployment of the air bag and the air bag warning light.

lol yeah I know you not saying that its definitely the clock spring. I can't think of anything else that it could be, unless they get an auto elec to take a look... Oh well, its up to them which way they want to go about it.

Paul73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S2 Storm
I had the same problem with my vu. Steering wheel controls didn't work, but the horn did work and the airbag light wasn't on. Brought another clock spring from wrecker and all good. Just make sure the one you buy hasn't had the airbag deployed or it wont work.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2
I had the same problem with my vu. Steering wheel controls didn't work, but the horn did work and the airbag light wasn't on. Brought another clock spring from wrecker and all good. Just make sure the one you buy hasn't had the airbag deployed or it wont work.

same problem here,steering wheel control not working,horn works airbag light not on,
replaced with 2nd hand clock spring,but nothing changed.