Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] VX - how to clean air intake and such

ute boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II V6 Commodore Ute
yea now u mention that it coulld be choaking. inst the throttle controlled by the ecu in the ecotechs? gonna go have a look now anyway

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
After you have cleaned up the intake I would also fit a catch can, to help prevent the crap building up again.

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car
Throttle body is controlled by the throttle wire. It depicts how open, or how closed it is. I beleive (not 100% sure but it make sence), that this then comunicates with the computer to ajust fuel and such

ute boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II V6 Commodore Ute
After you have cleaned up the intake I would also fit a catch can, to help prevent the crap building up again.
QldKev
yer i thourght about a catch can but im not racing at all so i will save my money(and spend elsewhere =D) and just pull it off and clean every service as it only takes a little bit to do.

Throttle body is controlled by the throttle wire. It depicts how open, or how closed it is. I beleive (not 100% sure but it make sence), that this then comunicates with the computer to ajust fuel and such
yea true but i thought the tension on the cable was crontroled as there arnt mutch adjustments on it
dosnt matter now because the problem is FIXED and i worked out where i stuffed up

while pulling the throttle body apart again and cleaning it again (more througher) i looked at a hose which i took of in the first place and wonderded what it was (i thourght it was a dump valve of some sort) then went to where it whent (under the plenum chanber and there was another vacum hose)
put the throttle body back togerther and back on this time connecting the vacume hose and
WOHOO IT WORKED

so know its all fixed and runs alot smother so im now a happy camper
now off to work -.-

thanks for your help
mitch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Haha! I didn't even see that hose when I did the throttle body.
Glad you were able to fix it. Per your throttle wire, you will get a faster responce if its not loose. They streatch quite a bit

ute boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II V6 Commodore Ute
Haha! I didn't even see that hose when I did the throttle body.
Glad you were able to fix it. Per your throttle wire, you will get a faster responce if its not loose. They streatch quite a bit

yer neither did i untill i went looking
hmm might look into the throttle cable a bit more because its a tad loose only thing is i dont want to bring my idle revs up to high and i dont have a rpm gauge to tell so i might try and tighten it a bit but not to tight

Reaction score
Members Ride
You young blokes! You don't need an rpm gauge. run the engine at idle, and slowly tighten it, when you hear the idel increase, drop it back a tiny bit till the revs return to normal. If you want you can get a mate to check the revs in the car while you do it... but seriously you can do this **** by ear. Also i'm pretty sure there is a didgital rev counter in the trip computer, hold in "Mode" and "^" buttons, start the car, release, and click mode till you get too the rev counter. Also some other cool tools in there, but there is a tread somewhere on here that says what they do, so if your interested, don't ask! Go looking :p

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
my gasket somehow ripped in half so i have to halves whichi i put together and sprayed wd for insulation. that ok?

Admiral_Awesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series II
Ahh! Whats the odds! I'm having the same problem as uteboy... kinda rough, lumpy, otherwise sh*t idle. and i noticed the hose and thought it was a dump or something too. where abouts does it connect up to?? i cant seem to find any visible bit for it to fit over. Oh and... how do you tighten the throttle cable?? mine is a bit loose.

Besides that... stoked at the results of doing this! Great write up... Seems to run really well and feels good to drive. Also... i can swear my exhaust is noticable louder too now... or could this be caused by carby cleaner still in the system or something??

Cheers =D

VX21

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx lumina s1
Look up purge hose in the forum there is a how to fix and shows with pics where it goes. Can become loose at the firewall (drivers side near fuel injectors) the elbows get worn