Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] [VX] How to drain excessive Tranni Fluid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car
I had that method suggested to me to take out some of the transmission fuid, so I know it works. However I don't think it would remove all the oil

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
I also think in theory it would get a good amount out of the sump.

Why not follow the how-to as boypocketsjr described above running it until the system is empty, then drop the pan. This will allow you to drop it without much oil in it, and also give you a full system fluid change. You wouldn't change just half your engine oil? Just allow the 7.9L and not the 4.8L for the refill.

QldKev

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I had that method suggested to me to take out some of the transmission fuid, so I know it works. However I don't think it would remove all the oil

It wasn't meant to drain all the oil. The idea is simply to remove a few litres before dropping the pan and making the filter change much cleaner and easier.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I also think in theory it would get a good amount out of the sump.

Why not follow the how-to as boypocketsjr described above running it until the system is empty, then drop the pan. This will allow you to drop it without much oil in it, and also give you a full system fluid change. You wouldn't change just half your engine oil? Just allow the 7.9L and not the 4.8L for the refill.

QldKev

I really don't like the idea of running a trans with virtually no lubricant remaining in it. I agree it's a handy way of removing all the oil but I can't help feeling there is a risk of trans damage doing it. As I mentioned above, my idea was simply to reduce the amount of oil in the pan so that changing the filter was a lot easier and less messy.

bumskins

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Series 1
Has anybody ever used a large garage syringe with a long plastic extension hose, inserted down the filler tube, to draw off a few litres BEFORE dropping the pan to change the filter screen? The syringe I'm referring to is used to fill diffs and transmissions and holds between one and two litres of oil.

I've got a similar one at home and it works a treat! I find you can remove about 99% of the transmission fluid in the pan prior to dropping the pan meaning no spillage whatsoever. The unit works using vacuum via a manual hand pump with a series of clear plastic extension tubes you insert down the transmission filler neck along with a large reservoir to store the evacuated oil. Theoretically you can also use it for any type of fluid reservoir e.g. you could use it on your motorbike or boat (good for inboard motors) as well.

Here's an example of what's available on the market WELCOME TO CHUAN JIING'S WEBSITE!!

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Even in park the oil will still come out as the transmission and torque convertor will push the oil through. I have never let it run dry before as the manuals do not recommend it. Remember the fluid is there to cool the trans as well as operate some valves etc. The way i do it is cut the hose drain 1-2 litres, then add 1-2 litres....untill all clean. Then i stick a Magnefine filter into the line. The manuals all state the possibility of air getting stuck into the and having to use a compressor to clear etc, so by adding fluid each time will help to reduce this. The last think you want in there is air as there is nowhere for it to vent to....just a thought, great write up anyway.

Reaction score
Members Ride
All you have to do is stick a hose down the filler tube and siphon it out. Done it many times. Alot easier lol.

Did it this way because this was easier /cheaper.

1/ No need to put your mouth at the end of a hose and risk getting transmission fluid in your mouth.
2/ Dont need to go buy a smaller hose (Standard 12mm hose wont fit down there, think you need an 8mm)
3/ Can have the hose pre positioned into a bottle before you start draining. i.e. less mess.

But I suppose it comes down to personal preference.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
You dont have to suck the fluid all the way to your mouth to get it going lol.

Position the container close to your mouth and stick it in the bottle as the fluid starts to flow downhill.

No mess, and if your going to buy some garden hose from bunnings why not just buy some 8mm hose instead? Unless you cut it off your garden hose lol.

No tools, no getting under cars and half the time.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fair cop of the red Kangaroo mate! Who said anything about getting under the car?
Don't want to suck on a hose, do it this way! (Yeah... I cut some off my hose :p)