Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] [VX] How to drain excessive Tranni Fluid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car
Ah its that time again. Once again your eyes will read the wonder of my genious...

Perhaps you have seen my other how too? https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vx-how-clean-air-intake-such.163857
And know what too expect... Perhaps you haven't and are about to witness the greatest peice of automotive poetry and a rather fantastic display of both poor spelling and gramma.

Ok so lets set the mood, you have just baught yourself a shiny VX commodore that was previously owned by a woman who did her own work on the car, or perhaps you just did a full service on your transmission and put in too much fluid? Or perhaps the same mechanic that used a rattle gun to screw in my sump plug, topped up your transmission with a 'little' too much fluid. Whatever the case is, you now have too much tranni fluid in your Tranmission and you want to ditch some.

In earlier models it was possible just to remove a hose clamp and ditch the hose into a bottle untill you removed your desired amount of fuild, however in the VX (maybe the VT as well), you don't have that luxury as the hoses are hydrolicly pressed on so that you are FORCED to take it to holden and they can make more money off you because they are an evil corporation!

Forenote: I would recomend draining the fluid while its cold. Think about it: Hot fluid... + plastic bottle... Hmmm

So here we go!

Step 1. Beer:
I find the best way to start a job is to lube yourself up a bit as if beer was the lubrication you needed to **** your girlfriends ***. Or perhaps the butter on your toast you needed there to spread your vegimite without breaking the integrity of the bread. Whatever the acronym, beer is a very important step.
Please note: I did not actually drink beer before I did this as I didn't have any... As a result, two cute puppies died.

Step 2. Grab what you need:
What you need for this is some of the following:
About a 2M length of 12mm Garden hose. Make sure it has no water inside and is perfectly dry you twit.
A 19mm Spanner. Did you know americans don't even know what a spanner is? Amazing right?
A decently sized bottle, also dry. The size depends on how much oil you want to evacuate. Remember if you take out too much, you can always put some back in. But PLEASE... Use new oil... it can only help. I used a two LT juice bottle, however I would recommend using Mountain Dew as it is the ***
A towel (Just incase you have some spillage)
An oil catcher, also just incase.

Step 3. Location Location Location:
First off, find a decent plot of land to do this on, as you may have some spillage. I would recomend the neighbours front lawn... Who cares if that grass dies anyway.

Step 4. Find the Bolt:
Now there are multiple bolts sitting on the metal lines that go into the raidiator, I chose the following one because it was easy to access. It is the first metal pipe that leaves your radiator underneith the raidiator Cap. I don't have a picture of it, but it looks something like this:
trans_rad.jpg

Step 5. Remove that **** ****:
Take your 19mm open end spanner, and put it on the bolt, you will notice you have #### all room. Stick it on and loosen it as much as you can, you wont need to go far because it isn't on far, the rest of the way you can do with your hand. The bolt will pop off including the metal line. No oil should come out.

Step 6. Stick it on!:
Take your hose and stick it on the thread that the bolt was sitting on. Make sure you get it in there nice and tight to prevent it from coming off.

Step 7. Drain:
Aim the hose into your bottle of choice, and walk around to the driver side holding the bottle and the hose in it. Now start the car, and run it in park, untill the desired amount of fluid it out, then turn off the engine. Remove the hose

Step 8. Do it back up:
Retach the hose and screw up the bolt with your fingers. Gently apply some preassure with the spanner. Turn it about one eights. Like I said before, its not on there very tight.

Step 9. testing:
Test your oil level, and make sure its all right and sexy and such.

Yay you finished. now

Step 10. Beer:
Finish off with something you have never tried before.. Perhaps a Dark or Mature mexican beer?

Dont drink and drive... Ya F***ing C***

Kthnx bai!

Feed back, Questions, Suggestions... Welcome :)

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
I find the best way to start a job is to lube yourself up a bit as if beer was the lubrication you needed to **** your girlfriends ***.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

I nearly just choked on my beer.

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
Good article.

Out of interest when you drop the pan on the trans and change the fluid, you actually only replace a percentage of the fluid in the system, the rest is in the stall convertor etc. Using the method above you can keep running it until the fluid stops flowing and then refil the system. This will allow you to replace virtually the full capacity.

V6 refill 4.8 litres (7.9 total capacity)
V8 refill 5 litres (10.6 litres cap)

So you can see with a V8, the sump holds less than half of the fluid. When I did mine I managed to get 9L out before I started to get lots of bubbles.

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
I dunno about running all the fluid out like that... I mean if you wanna do that, go ahead.. I can't see any reason why it would damage the Box, as long as it was left in park and NO gear was engaged... Wouldn't run it for too long without oil...

But have you tried this method and it has worked with no ill effects?

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
I dunno about running all the fluid out like that... I mean if you wanna do that, go ahead.. I can't see any reason why it would damage the Box, as long as it was left in park and NO gear was engaged... Wouldn't run it for too long without oil...

But have you tried this method and it has worked with no ill effects?

Yep, I have done it. As I mentioned in the last post I got 9L out before I got a lot of bubbles and stopped; they say it is safe to keep going. You do need to keep it in gear otherwise you won't be pumping the fluid.

to quote Steve from Mainlube
"When the auto stops pumping and sucks air there is no drive (cause no oil) so no damage can be done as you can't load anything. I like swapping between the gears which (before you run out of oil) just to pump new oil through the valve body and the servos etc. "

This guy is probably about the most knowledgeable person on the subject.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Alright well sweet... Looks like a did a how too on an easy way to drain out all the oil... And looks like when I get money for new tranni oil, I will be doing it this way!!!

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
That's it, this supports your 'how to' as being an excellent way to drain excess fluid. It just adds to it that if you keep going with the same method you end up doing a full drain to allow a clean change of fluids. :spot on:

Reaction score
Members Ride

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
This is an interesting way to remove excess transmission fluid and sounds a lot quicker and neater than dropping the pan.

I have a question regarding the process of carrying out a normal trans service. The biggest pain with that job is dropping a pan gradually and catching all the fluid in a container, without having oil splash out. Has anybody ever used a large garage syringe with a long plastic extension hose, inserted down the filler tube, to draw off a few litres BEFORE dropping the pan to change the filter screen? The syringe I'm referring to is used to fill diffs and transmissions and holds between one and two litres of oil.