Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX II Acclaim - Manifold insulators and plenum spacers.

Seanyy

"HULK"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Gday all,
Just bought a VX II Acclaim, wanting a few small...*cough* unnoticeable *cough*... engine modifications that would add a bit of kick here and there. Preferrably low-end torque, but low-mid if necessary.
Ive got the normal, everyday common ideas that all P-platers do to their commo's, but manifold insulators and plenum spacers were suggested to me the other day.
Any advice on these would be great, and also, if there's someone out there who has to time to chuck me a list of suggested engine mods, that would be muchly appreciated.
And how obvious these engine mods are.
Cheers

Robbo_c

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais II,2007 Calais V
Defiently get the insulators and spacers they are great.As for other mods I would go with some rockers i've got 1:9:1's and they are pretty good also a 69mm throttle body probably wouldn't hurt either and you can't tell just from looking at the engine that you have these.For prices just get on the Mace site.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
69mm TB isnt going to change anything unless you are going to run a turbo or SC, even then its restricted inside the plenum opening a to a even smaller size than the standard TB.

As for mods that will be useful for a N/A...

High ratio roller rockers (1:9:1)
12mm plenum spacer
25mm manifold spacer
2.5" cat back
Lukey or K&N air filter (I would go with Lukey myself)
MACE memcal (others on here are too hard to get hold of to make them)

And lastly probably some extractors, but I have seen a lot of people say you will lose bottom end and gain top end with extractors depending on the length. The longer the better.

MACE

Reaction score
Seanyy,

What everyone has said above is a good starting point. The only thing that I add that the larger throttle body does work well on a naturally aspirated car, and between the manifold and the throttle body, it’s definitely the greatest restriction between the two. We have to remember that NA engines have only atmospheric pressure to play with, so every bit of reduction in pressure drop would help. In saying this though I would recommend people consider a throttle body after they’ve installed a plenum spacer.

The note about the extractors is 100% true. Running longer length extractors would certainly help, however I don’t think that there are any off the shelf that would be long enough for my liking :( Definitely wouldn’t be any that are cast LOL which would be ideal as it would retain a lot more heat for better scavenging

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Steve

Seanyy

"HULK"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Yeah thanks Steve, Robbo and 2Die, helped heaps.
Never contemplated the rockers option, but i'll have a look into it.

I know Robbo touched on this, but how obvious are the mods you guys have listed? Obviously low-end torque would be wicked to increase, but not at the expense of my license or money from fines.
Thanks again

STL17

Whipit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor charged vp v6 manual
Diff gears will make a difference

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Yeah thanks Steve, Robbo and 2Die, helped heaps.
Never contemplated the rockers option, but i'll have a look into it.

I know Robbo touched on this, but how obvious are the mods you guys have listed? Obviously low-end torque would be wicked to increase, but not at the expense of my license or money from fines.
Thanks again

Do you mean how obvious are they as in how easy to spot them? If so you will only see the manifold and plenum spacers if you have your engine cover off but Im not sure if they engine cover would fit on if you have both, thats a question for Steve. Apart from that and the exhaust you cant visibly see any of the mods.

If you mean how obvious are they in the way of acceleration, I fitted 1:9:1 rockers yesterday and they give a decent amount of pick up at low speed. It was a bit sluggish before but now I am quite happy with the bottom end, I will still be getting a few other things for a little bit more bottom end when my money permits it.

Seanyy

"HULK"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Ahhkay thanks 2Die, good info.
Im guessing the same applies to my VX Acclaim too? Being the same V6 Ecotec, Series II 3800.
How often would the cops take engine covers off on P-plated Commodores they pull over? If anyone knows haha.

Robbo_c

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais II,2007 Calais V
Cops will never take your engine cover off if they pull you over.If they are really concerned that you have mods on your car they will probably just pop the bonnet and have a visual inspection and that would be it.

Seanyy

"HULK"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Hmm my mate's car got a full inspection when he was at a house party and his VZ Calais was parked out the front.
He went out to grab some ****, and the coppers had it up on a jack and were looking underneath, as well as deep under the bonnet *AND* the engine cover he said..
:/
Maybe the copper was having a bad night? Or unlucky. Hope i never come across one of them...