Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX II Giving Weird Error and Chime?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman WK 03 - LS1
Hello All,

My VX II Acclaim Commodore 2002 has been doing something weird recently. Today was the second time it's done it, else it starts fine?

When i turn the car on, the security LED flashes like nuts, the Traction Control and Airbag light turn on and the car makes a chime similar (but different) to the one made when the handbrake is left on. The dash display reads SERV ERROR .

The car operates normally in this mode, turning the car off, i then can't use the key to unlock or lock the car until I try and start it again and it starts fine?

BCM related?

My local holden are a bunch of pricks so would preffeeeeer not having to take it into them to get it scanned.

Regards,
Dan

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
From VT Service manual:

"The instrument [Cluster] is equipped with a self-diagnostic capability that can detect and isolate instrument problems or failures. When a fault is detected, the instrument cluster sets a diagnsotic trouble code (DTC) that represents that particular problem or failure. When DTC 24, 25 or 26 is set, an icon X is shown in the left-hand instrument window on high
series vehicles, or SERV ERROR on low series..

Errors can be identified by using TECH 2 to test instruments and force values and conditions into the instrument cluster. The results of these tests can be used to diagnose problems in the instrument assembly such as inoperative bulbs and faulty gauges and switches...."

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman WK 03 - LS1
From VT Service manual:

"The instrument [Cluster] is equipped with a self-diagnostic capability that can detect and isolate instrument problems or failures. When a fault is detected, the instrument cluster sets a diagnsotic trouble code (DTC) that represents that particular problem or failure. When DTC 24, 25 or 26 is set, an icon X is shown in the left-hand instrument window on high
series vehicles, or SERV ERROR on low series..

Errors can be identified by using TECH 2 to test instruments and force values and conditions into the instrument cluster. The results of these tests can be used to diagnose problems in the instrument assembly such as inoperative bulbs and faulty gauges and switches...."

Soooooooo basically an ambiguous error message. Take to holden and charge me $150 just to plug it in and say oh was just unexploded fuel causing it.

Ok to keep driving you think or Play it safe and take to holden?

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
So annoying alright, 6 years ago back when Holden still serviced our series 11 they'd charge us $80 to plug it into that machine and even when doing a general service.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
have a long read through this
VT-VX Hidden Trip Computer
i would be suggesting a short in the abs module
disconnect wiring connector from abs module to confirm
you can still drive like this but will not have traction control or abs

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Try the instructions below the Holden VT/VX service CD. I can't work out how to insert the up and down arrowhead icons in the text below so have just included them as descriptions in quotes. You should know what an arrowhead button looks like.

DIAGNOSTIC MODE OPERATION
To enter the instrument cluster diagnostic mode, press the trip computer switch MODE button down together with the "Up Arrowhead" button while turning the ignition from off to on. Further pressing the MODE button will step through the various instrument cluster information displays.

When the Diagnostic Mode Display is reached, pressing the "Up Arrowhead" button increments the DTC number and related information displayed, while the "Down Arrowhead" button can be used to decrement the DTC number and related information. To exit the instrument cluster diagnostic mode, press both the "Up Arrowhead" button and the "Down Arrorhead" button together.

A DTC is shown on the Diagnostic Mode Display as ‘t NN XY’ , where:
t = diagnostic trouble code (DTC),
NN = the actual DTC number,
X = the history DTC status (H for active and – for inactive), and
Y = the current DTC status (C for active and – for inactive).

In instances where the DTC is disabled due to the particular model configuration the letters nu (not used) appear in the XY position. For example, a vehicle which is not fitted with ABS or ABS/ETC will have DTC 8 shown as ‘t 08 nu’. Similarly, DTC 4, DTC 5 and DTC 6 will appear as not used on a vehicle which is not fitted with LPG.

It is important to note that an open circuit fuel (petrol) gauge sender unit is recognised by the instrument cluster selfdiagnostics as ‘t 00 H C’, whereas the TECH 2 Diagnostic Tool will recognise the same fault as DTC 3.

A DTC may also be cleared from the instrument cluster using the trip computer switches while in the diagnostic mode. With the DTC displayed in the instrument cluster window, press both the "Up Arrow" button and the "Down Arrow" button together for more than 2 seconds. Pressing these buttons for less than 2 seconds will exit the instrument cluster diagnostic mode.

DTC CODE
1 Fuel gauge sender unit — short circuit
2 Fuel gauge sender unit — intermittent
3 Fuel gauge sender unit — open circuit (refer to Note 1)
4 LPG gauge sender unit — open circuit
5 LPG gauge sender unit — short circuit
6 LPG gauge sender unit — intermittent
8 No serial data from ABS – Traction off enable (refer to Note 2)
9 No serial data from BCM
10 No serial data from ECC (refer to Note 3)
11 No serial data from PCM
12 No serial data from SDM
13 No instrument poll from BCM
14 No serial communication
15 No Sub-clock
16 ABS or ABS/ETC fault logged
17 BCM fault logged
18 ECC fault logged
19 PCM fault logged
20 SDM fault logged
21 Trip switch short circuit
22 Trip switch button stuck
24 EE checksum error
25 ROM checksum error
26 Internal fault Yes None
NOTE 1: DTC 3 is recognised by the instrument cluster self-diagnostics as ‘t 00 H C”.
NOTE 2: DTC 8 is not enabled in vehicles fitted with ABS only.
NOTE 3: The ECC EEPROM enable bit is programmed active for the high series vehicles and inactive for the low series vehicles during manufacture.

Last edited:
D

devilly

i dunno if it matters the car, but on mine all i do is hold both arrows and then turn acc on.then it comes up RESET then you press mode.

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
^ that information in the post directly above me, is only relevant to reset a service reminder in the cluster. He's not talking about the service reminder.

He's got a low series car with the single window cluster, and its giving him the "SERV" error, which indicates an electronic fault, not a service reminder.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I believe the connection between cluster and BCM is faulty - or something in the cluster isn't reporting to the BCM correctly.

Anything more really needs a fault code.

Maybe drop the BCM cover off (passenger footwell wall) and check the connectiosn on the BCM ?

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
The fast blinking and serv error relate to the key not making proper contact with the ignition ring

holden upgraded to a full ring instead of the 2 contacts

you could try cleaning and adjusting them