Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX II Lower Contrl Arms

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
My VX II Equipe with 327,000 KLM on it has recently developed a loud clunk in the front driver side suspension area. At low speed, when I use the brakes, CLUNK !

It sounded and felt like it was coming from the brake calliper. I pulled it off and inspected it. The pistons moved OK and the pad looked normal.

I took it to the local Pedders Franchise for the $28 undercar inspection.

They said the clunk was coming from the badly worn lower control arm bush’s !

The offered to replace the arms and bush’s for what I thought was a very large amount of money.

My question is, are you better off just buying both full lower control arms like advertised on Ebay ?

I assume these arms may not have the better quality bush’s and steering knuckle ?

Or

Are you better off buying the Nolathane bush’s only and fitting them to the existing arms ?

I would appreciate any informed comment on this, especially if you have just been through this exercise.

Regards all !

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
I would fit complete arms, just for the simple fact you're also changing the ball joint

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I wouldn't use ebay arms and as a mechanic I wouldn't fit them either.

You can pull the arms out and have them rebushed at any suspension shop using quality Mckay bushes and you can get new ball joints fitted too.

Heavy VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt V6
I would suggest you do your z bar bushes front and rear while you are there too.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I'm a fan of the nolathane replacements. Besides being a smarter design than the press in shell, it's one area of the front end that won't see any extra nvh from urethane

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I wouldn't use ebay arms and as a mechanic I wouldn't fit them either.

You can pull the arms out and have them rebushed at any suspension shop using quality Mckay bushes and you can get new ball joints fitted too.

Why not? I fitted an ebay set to my nieces VY 18 months ago and they are still in and nothing wrong with them to this day.....She also does about 600k per week in the car as well....

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
These are eBay arms that were sold to me as OEM. I'm sure they're all not bad but the risk factor would certainly increase

20200802_135439_1.jpg

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
These are eBay arms that were sold to me as OEM. I'm sure they're all not bad but the risk factor would certainly increase

View attachment 219596

EEK, not pretty.....Whilst my niece bought hers unknown to me until it came fitting time, hers were fine

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX