Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx just stops while driving

fishingaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
hi all and all help will be appreciated.i have a 2002 vx auto and last week while driving it just cut out ,no coughing or splutter just instant.pulled over and it started like nothing had happened.
well today it happened again exacly the same,and started straight away .now this is getting a bit dodgy as we lost power steer and brakes werent so good for a few seconds.
so please any suggestions where i can start .thanks in advance.gaz.

and just like to add this time the low fuel beeper sounded ,even though there was 3/4 full of gas and 1/2 of petrol

Last edited:

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
We had the same thing happen to us twice 12 months ago and after a full checkup was told one of the coils was faulty so to be sure I had the mother board and all 3 coils replaced and haven't had it happen again.

fishingaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
thanks neddy may be have to take it to dealer to put there machine on it.so whats the cost of coils and motherboard?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
First thing to do would be check the ECU for any stored errors. The thing with coil failure is it usually only affects 2 cylinders, which would make it sputter and lose power but not die. The chance of losing all 3 at once is minimal unless you lose the 'motherboard' that sits under them, which is called the DFI. Were you running on gas of fuel at the time?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
If it just died instantly, may be it could be an ignition problem or even a faulty inhibitor switch.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Good chance its the crank angle sensor on the way out. They play up intermittently when they get hot, then start working again after cooling down a bit.
A loose connection where the wiring loom attaches to the DFI module (located under the coils) is also a possibility.:)

Fuel pump or the relay for the fuel pump something to look at as well.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
From what youve described Id also say its a faulty CAS-(Crank Angle Sensor). Very common problem with the V6's. If it turns out to be the problem, try not to buy a cheap aftermarket CAS, buy a genuine holden CAS and it wil last another 10 years instead of 10 months.

fishingaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
well it looks as if it could be one of many things.if i took it to a dealer or auto elec could they tell buy the errors they find with there laptop ?or would it be prosses of elimination?thanks again gaz

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
If your "check engine" light came on when it stopped it will have thrown a code.
But crank angle sensors often don't throw one when intermittently failing.:supersad:
Same thing with fuel pumps.
So yeah...process of elimination.

fishingaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
went to the dealers today and they tell me that its a fuel purge hose?no errors were found,
so does this sound right to the experts on here?

i have my doubts because of the way it stoped instantly.i just hope they are right.
thanks again gaz.