Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Key Unlocking Issue

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
Looking for some advice...out of the blue, went to start my VX sedan today...remote wouldn't unlock car...after some mucking around...went and got my spare key.,...same problem.

Didn't sound like relay/s responded to remote button push...nothing else.

Tried to unlock driver's door with key...no luck...key turned in lock all the way [both ways] but the snipper button didn't move...zippo.

Didn't feel any "interference nor resistance" when turning the key...

I checked the coin battery in remote housing...showed at 2.9v...which I realise is a little low...but should still function?

Can car's battery have died overnight sufficient to disable door mechanism??

Reassembled the key...retried and same result...locked out of my car....what to do? Is therrer a workaround to gain access to engine compartment to check car battery? Or am I stuck with needing to call [and pay] for some Service Provider to overcome this problem?? Times like this; being stuck on a Pension is not ideal!

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Use the key in the key hole

Alarm may sound so be prepared for that

Wear ear plugs and warn your neighbours

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i dont believe snib raises when using key with flat vehicle battery
but door still unlocks
other option is use battery charger or jumper leads
jack up front of car and use stands
connect positive to starter motor heavy positive cable lug
negative to clean chasis
if jumper leads to donor battery
then try remote

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
Ginger Beer; tried key in lock...Tried to unlock driver's door with key...no luck...
My problem is exacerbated by having recently moved into Retirement Village; now have no tools/jack/jumpers nor anything to assist with self-maintenance...as well as having both knees, left hip and right shoulder replacements fitted...I am in no physical condition to even get down and put a jack under a car...let alone do anything else...this getting old really sucks!!
Looking like I will need to sort a Mobile Auto-Electrician...

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
At my age I feel your pain and know exactly what you are going through, but I will live under a tree or on the beach or in a park before I will go into a retirement village, but all that aside, if we knew where you are located there may be a member who may be able to help.

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Good idea rambunctious. I’m living between Melbourne and Geelong atm and are willing to help if you’re anywhere nearby? Key turning in drivers door freely without friction would indicate keys aren’t the right ones for the lock, security feature. Keys shouldn’t just stop working but they can and do, issue with the rolling codes, again a security feature and will need to be inserted into the ignition to reset them. Obviously not possible in your case unfortunately. Opening bonnet from underneath sux but is possible, easier to use one of those inflatable whoopie cushion type things on the door frame and a PDR tool to pull a snib up.
How good were AU/BA falcons in this scenario, you can grab the quarter windows and tear them out with your bare hands and reach in and unlock the doors, gotta love those ford engineers, complete space cadets

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
Thanks for the replies....no idea what a "PDR tool to pull a snib up" is...or looks like. Area? Central Coast NSW...near Digger's Club at The Entrance FWIW...and when I said a Retirement Village...was talking generally and not specifically..'tis more of a Villa situation; and TBH...it is far preferable t han being Homeless or living in a Caravan Park...and I'm 70 2moro; never for a second did I imagine things would turn out as they have, but"Such is Life" so we make the best of our situation as we can...

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It will be the sun sensor which is also the receiver for the remote unlock.

It’s an easy swap. Get one off eBay or wrecker. It’s between the two dash windscreen demister vents.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Does anyone know what the outcome of this saga was?
Hopefully the car wasn't dead-locked when it was locked previously, otherwise no amount of pulling up on the lock button in the door will open it.
And, 70 is not old...
I recently joined a Men's Shed in my area. When asked my age (70) I was told "Oh, you're only a spring chicken!".