Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx knocking noise

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
gday, picked up my vx s pac today I am wrapped 1st car. When we went to inspect it started great with no knocks or anything. Picked it up and it now has a loud knock or like a bang sorta sound when starting it also when turning it off in the last moments there are afew rattles. Also when realesing the clutch more so downshifting there is a few minor knocks/minor clunks that can be felt, It is obviously a manual with a genuine 108,000kms on it. Any help would be great. We are thinking its the flywheel that may be crook. The clutch got replaced afew months ago (recipts were provided) or maybe even the starter motor. But then it wouldent account for clonks when changing gears.
any help would be geat.

thanks

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
from what you have described it sounds like the new clutch isnt activating properly or there is something wrong with your master cylinder weather it be clutch fluid or a few gears being a bit sticky, it could also be what is called Diff backlash. before i can give a definate answer can you tell me if
is it hard to put into gear?
have you checked your engine mounts?
is there any other sort of knocking noise?

Last edited:

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
no its not hard to put into gear at all. The clutch fluid looks to be very dirty but its not low. Would the clutch fluid or master cylinder have anything to do with it becuase even if I start it in netural I get a noise. Same as diff lacklash it wont explain why it makes such a horrid noise when starting and turn the engine off in neutral. Ill check the mounts tomroow. But other than that no noises at all.
once again your help is appreciated

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
well the characteristics you have explained sounds a little like the Engine mounts. or the clutch fluid but i doubt that it would be the clutch as they have to change the fluid when they change the clutch plates.

does this noise happen on Idle, and disappears when you accelerate and then when you decelerate it appears again?

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
na not really the noise is only there when starting the engine, sometimes when changing gears and a small noise when turning the engine off. But na when moving unless I'm chnaging gears there is no noise at all

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
intersting i am sure someone has an idea as i only have a few, but you never know i might find somthing in either the holden repair manual or the gregory's lol.
i'll keep you posted on anything i find.

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
ok thanks for that, Could somebody please tell me the syptoms of a stuffed flywheel? and tell me if my problem could possibly be flywheel related.
thankyou

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Symptoms of a stuffed flywheel
Slipping clutch, clutch shudder, Clutch grab, Insufficient clutch release and bearing noise.
your problem may be flywheel related but this should of shown up when you had your clutch changed.
spoke to a ex-holden service tech today that recomended to look at the flywheel and check for scoring or cracking, if so renew the flywheel.

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
think we may have found the problem. a worn belt tensioner pulley. Hope it is this and not the flywheel. ill keep you posted.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
hopefully for you its the belt tensioner pulley