Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX L67 engine oil???

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
hey all long time no see. Interesting to see nothing much has changed here....

VX you know my reccommendation on oil (you want to see what its been doing in Bikes lately!)- either that or Penrite.

Have fun!

00vxsc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX L67, ln106 hilux, xr600r
have always been a penrite man myself brad, next time i guess

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I've become quite a fan of the Repco brand 'Semi Synthetic' 10w/40. I usually use the Nulon 10w40 fully synthetic but needed something cheap for a short period. The Repco stuff is re bottled mobil and at $32.95 for 5L it's great stuff.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
I've become quite a fan of the Repco brand 'Semi Synthetic' 10w/40. I usually use the Nulon 10w40 fully synthetic but needed something cheap for a short period. The Repco stuff is re bottled mobil and at $32.95 for 5L it's great stuff.

The Repco brand stuff is excellent, i like the 15w40 Repco Diesel myself. Yes it is Mobil.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
hey all long time no see. Interesting to see nothing much has changed here....

VX you know my reccommendation on oil (you want to see what its been doing in Bikes lately!)- either that or Penrite.

Have fun!

:bow: BRAD ! Where you been hiding ??!! Send me a PM or post a update on whats been happening with PM Lubes ? Havent heard much about them since your absence.

blueV8vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL V8 & supercharged VX
i run castrol 5w 30w in mine. have also used nulon 10w 40w in it too both seem the same.. just try a few then u know what to use.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Spending a fair bit of time over on bike forums- since i have my new baby- 05 CBR600RR.

Really not much to update on PM Lubes- I am in constant contact with them, nowadays distributing for them. Really more than anything they have been increasing the loadcarrying ability of their oils even more, as opposed to coming out with new products. Endurance Lube 25w60 now has a loadcarrying ability unmatched by anything in Australia.

Mate, you want to see the ravereviews its been getting from bike riders- because they have such a high power to weight ratio and high revs to create power, its consistant. Around 80% say they had no idea just changing oil could make such a difference, 10-15% say yes, there is a difference and between 10-5% say no real change. Had so many people write about fuel economy benefits- obviously high revs reduce friction and there is going to be decent gains.

I am keeping up with oil analasys at 6,000k's- first was Motul 5100, then PM- (from memory) aluminium wear rates halved (literally halved), iron down something like 15%.

Diesels love the stuff. Still cant get over them- high torque, low rev engines. Latest was Phil from Highside leathers, if anyone is into bikes and knows him (he is very well known) called me a smartass because he didnt believe it. Now the silly old bugger stocks it himself.

So same old, really.

oh yeah- the US has such a large market, the oils are (generally) superior. However, the issue with same name brand oils in Australia is typically they are blended very differently, but still rely on that branding. Which is where PM and Penrite have been able to make a name for themselves.

....and if your looking for SM, make sure its min 15w40. Anything 10w or below has the reduced ZDP required for the rating

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Spending a fair bit of time over on bike forums- since i have my new baby- 05 CBR600RR.

Really not much to update on PM Lubes- I am in constant contact with them, nowadays distributing for them. Really more than anything they have been increasing the loadcarrying ability of their oils even more, as opposed to coming out with new products. Endurance Lube 25w60 now has a loadcarrying ability unmatched by anything in Australia.

Mate, you want to see the ravereviews its been getting from bike riders- because they have such a high power to weight ratio and high revs to create power, its consistant. Around 80% say they had no idea just changing oil could make such a difference, 10-15% say yes, there is a difference and between 10-5% say no real change. Had so many people write about fuel economy benefits- obviously high revs reduce friction and there is going to be decent gains.

I am keeping up with oil analasys at 6,000k's- first was Motul 5100, then PM- (from memory) aluminium wear rates halved (literally halved), iron down something like 15%.

Diesels love the stuff. Still cant get over them- high torque, low rev engines. Latest was Phil from Highside leathers, if anyone is into bikes and knows him (he is very well known) called me a smartass because he didnt believe it. Now the silly old bugger stocks it himself.

So same old, really.

oh yeah- the US has such a large market, the oils are (generally) superior. However, the issue with same name brand oils in Australia is typically they are blended very differently, but still rely on that branding. Which is where PM and Penrite have been able to make a name for themselves.

....and if your looking for SM, make sure its min 15w40. Anything 10w or below has the reduced ZDP required for the rating

I think its anything below a # w40 has the reduced ZDDP. Many manufacturers are cutting it down anyway, even Penrite are doing it in some of their brands. So with PM's load carrying capability what is it measured in, HTHS ? etc. Have you tried Redline before ? THe Group 5 esters are purely the best at load carrying, with i think Redlines 10w30 acting like a 15w40 and above in the high temp high shear loadings.

Yeah Aussie versions oil usually are different to their US counterparts.

00vxsc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX L67, ln106 hilux, xr600r
pretty technical stuff there guys!!, thank you all for your input, it has been a great help

Happymonaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary S2 V6 2003
All repco oils are produced by Penrite Australia now, they do make good oil, probably doesnt have all the penrite additives, but not as good or have value for money like the new HPR full syn range.