Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX L67 engine oil???

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
Yes a lot of modern oils run much less ZDDP however I don't see this as an issue as we run roller cammed engines. If you had an older engine with a flat tappet cam (like the Holden 304/308 V8) then you would definitely want an oil with high ZDDP.

True, ZDDP is a bit overrated for a modern engine with roller cam. About the only metal on metal wear would be at the pushrod/rocker.

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
the new HPR10 10-50w Fully Synthetic is up there with M1 15-50 and in HTHS as well and is slightly cheaper. As always, pick an oil, then get an oiltest done and see how it is really performing. i have used a few but am quite happy with Roktex

Engine Oil Analysis for Cost Effective Servicing and Maintenance
HPR 10 10W-50 (Full Synthetic)

Yeah i wish more people did oil tests, but i guess BITOG is full of em though mainly thin grades and all sorts of engines. Im not one to talk since my "oil tests" are by looking at and sniffing the oil plus the good ole butt dyno. :rofl2:

Btw, you posted some good info about Mobil 1 over at pcmhacking...interesting how much oxidation the 5w50 has comparing with the 15w50 but i guess its expected due to the need for much more VII to cover the spread.

Last edited: