Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx l67 head

eliteaaron

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Calais Supercharged
hey my vx commodore just recently blew a head gasket as oil is milky but i didn't give it a chance to over heat i saw the gauge move up to half and i shut the engine off and haven't started it since do you think its worth doing the heads as i didn't hear no knock so i don't think the bearings are gone yet, i just more worried about spending money to just do the head gasket and it develops a knock or throws a rod due to milky oil getting in there.

thanks aaron

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Are you sure its a head gasket and not just the LIM gaskets??

If it is a head gasket this is what I would do.
I would have both the heads skimmed for straightness first up.
Then replace both head gaskets and the LIM gaskets (use the alloy ones from MACE)
As for the oil, buy some real cheap stuff, then drain the oil that is in there and then with the bung still out pour through a couple liters of the cheap oil and make sure what ever you are catching the oil in has room for it!!!

Then replace oil filter put sump plug back in and fill with GOOD oil and you should be on your way.

Last edited:

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Do a tk test before pulling the heads. Uncommon to do head gaskets in these things

Most likely it's a failing thermostat, intake manifold gaskets, radiator or even just the cap.

These things are robust and recover from mild overheats like you've described. I'm tipping the head gaskets are 100% serviceable

eliteaaron

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Calais Supercharged
only reason i think its the head gasket is most of the water in radiator has gone and engine oil has turned milky on dipstick and milky under the oil cap, i replaced the thermostat bout 4months ago so don't think it can be that, not sure bout anything else.