Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx l67, not starting

Kitesurfjim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii L67
So this happened the other day and cleared itself, turn the key and no noise, ie the sound you get initially with injectors coming online. No start just turning over with no fire up.
As I said this cleared itself the other day. Had the mechanic have a look and he said the fuel pump is working fine. Today it's just done the same thing except obviously no joy with starting up. Any ideas?

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
when was the fuel filter changed

then look at the coil paks dfi below it

Kitesurfjim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii L67
Fuel filter was changed 15k ago coil packs and dfi were inspected and changed at the same time.
When running she runs smooth as no surging or misfires.
What's missing is when you first turn the key you hear like a humming noise for one or two sec, is this a starter solenoid or the injectors priming? Well this isn't happening, and recencently that humming noise had become louder and sounded more strained. I don't know if this is the fuel pump or some other piece of kit that pressurises the injectors or what?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
The starter solenoid wont click in until you go to start the engine.
The sound you should hear, is a slight hum coming from the fuel tank.
If that hum has become louder as you say it has, it
sounds like the fuel pump might be on the way out.
Have some one turn the ignition to the 'on' position (red lights on the dash), while you stand at the rear of the car and have a listen.

D

devilly

check battery ,check fuses and relays,could be the ignition barrel.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi
I think its fuel pump related.
Try f/pump relay under bonnet first.
You can even give fuel tank solid thump. Sometimes that works, to get pump going. If it does, replace pump. Its on its way out.
Hope this helps.
Lex

Kitesurfjim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii L67
Thanks all, ignition barrell was replaced not 3k ago, having a little knowledge of fuel pumps etc from my motorbikes I have a sneaking suspicion it is the fuel pump, I will check the relays etc first tonight, if it is the fuel pump how big a pig of a job is it to replace? Does anyone know of anyone local to mt martha vic that could perform a pump replacement. I spoke to the guys at Mornington Holden and they won't even touch it with putting it on the diagnostics costing me $125 before I've even towed the bugger there. What happened to proper mechanics who say yup there's ya problem right there mate. Rather than just spanking you for $100 to say I think this is your problem lets have a look.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Because.....
1) They want more money out of you.
2) They can't diagnose a car's problem by elimination like the old days. They only rely on the DTC's to find the problem for them.
3) They think they are God and reckon we don't know jack about cars.

D

devilly

fuel pump is a BUGGER of a job,have to drop the fuel tank. try this first fill the fuel tank to the full line .if it makes a difference ,then grab a new fuel filter ,then take off the petrol cap and then change the fuel filter.fuel pumps willn't work properly if the filter is blocked,or if you put the wrong type fuel in them.