Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX L67 Randomly Stalling

SmittyBNE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais L67
I've read through years of threads before posting this to see if I could find a answer but thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone could steer me in the right direction.

Over the past few months my VX has been randomly stalling while driving. Leading up to these events I noticed my rpm fluctuating slightly while I'm off throttle, but once I got back on it there was no issue. While stopped the idle is good but while cruising along it will just die. It's not throwing any codes so don't have clue where to start.

I've changed plugs, fuel pump, voltage reg on alternator. Last night while working on it I noticed one of my thermo fans wasn't coming on no matter the temp, second one would kick on after awhile.

Previous posts point to crank angle sensor or IAC but with no code I'd be throwing parts at it so thought I'd ask here and see what you fellas thought. The thermo fan not working got me thinking coolant temp sensor ?!

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

SmittyBNE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais L67
Cheers for the reply mate

I'll pick up a new relay tomorrow and swap it out.

Yeah 9/10 times it fires straight back up and no issue cold starts.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Cheers for the reply mate

I'll pick up a new relay tomorrow and swap it out.

Yeah 9/10 times it fires straight back up and no issue cold starts.
Have a look at your wiring & plug for the dfi. See if any pins are loose or burnt. With the wiring, check the wires aren't burnt or the plastic has rubbed through? May have to strip back the tape. Probably will have to?

With the relay, have you changed it out recently?
Before buying a new one, swap with the high speed fan relay first (l think they are are compatible?) No use just changing parts unless they are cactus.

SmittyBNE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais L67
DFI looks pretty mint, wiring harness and plugs are solid no wires are burnt pins aren't bend or damaged. Are there any other symptoms of a dodgy DFI I should look for ?

High speed fan relay is 4 pin Low speed is 5 pin unfortunately and I've got no spares, a relay shouldn't cost much, I've read you have to be careful running cheap relays so I'll get onto bursons in the morning.

What's the likelihood I might have a stuck injector ? Or failing/dirty you reckon ?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Are there any other symptoms of a dodgy DFI I should look for ?
What its doing now, stalling when cruising. Thats one of the syptoms.
I replaced my dfi & coil packs. I had spares. It suprized me when it worked.
All my problems where dfi coil pack related. All different syptoms.

I'll get onto bursons
The auto electrician would be better.
What's the likelihood I might have a stuck injector ? Or failing/dirty you reckon
It would only be a miss. Like a spark plug not working.

SmittyBNE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais L67
Yeah stalling once up to temperature but the idle bouncing up and down is the issue. I think it's stalling out when the revs drop too low when fluctuating, but it doesn't fluctuate when stationary.

I'll switch out that relay and see if the fan kicks on and if not a trip to the auto electrician is my only option

SmittyBNE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais L67
Cheers for the advice mate I'll post progress as I get it sorted out and it might help others trying to diagnose similar issues