Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX L67 revs bouncing when foot is taken off..?

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by Rooney69, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Rooney69

Rooney69 'Sarcasm'

Members Ride:
    VX II S L67
    Hi all. I have a VX series II S that is Supercharged and 4 speed auto (think they all are yeah?)

The car is completely stock apart from a twin 2.5" catback with a V8 rear resonator that has twin tips.

Now I have only noticed this problem ever since installing the exhaust on the car, because now I can hear the engine and ding ding I now see why they say commodore autos sound droney.

Basically if I let my foot of the accelerator at any speed above 40-50kph, the revs on the dash bounce between 1000 and 1500 and I literally hear the exhaust bouncing a note as I roll along. This is very noticeable if I come down a hill in D or 3rd (either one) and let my foot off doing say 65-80 it just proceeds to sound as if I am constantly touching the pedal like I want attention and it is driving me nuts!

Is this some kind of pressure build up that is normal, but only notice it now due to the exhaust?

Or a problem with the exhaust? Like, I am desperately trying to find a standard replacement online but it doesn't give me much to work with. Ps, I was dumb and threw the standard system out 6 months ago :[

2. lowandslow

lowandslow Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 III Monaro
    Completely normal for the L67. You just can't hear it with the standard pipes on.

3. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Normal for pretty much all Ecotecs/l67 unless disabled in the tune

4. Rooney69

Rooney69 'Sarcasm'

Members Ride:
    VX II S L67
    Damn :/ why is this a normal thing? I'm not very mechanical minded tbh.

5. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Deceleration fuel cutoff - it’s a fuel saving thing. But injectors need to come back in periodically to keep the engine going. That’s the fluctuation you’re noting. You’ll notice the ‘inst fuel’ will go down to 0 on heavy decel when this happens.

Nothing wrong with it at all - you’ll get used to it and won’t even notice soon

6. gohrdrgomad

gohrdrgomad Active Member

Members Ride:
    VxCaly57
    Amplifiers and subwoofers are a optional V6 extra for P platers with mod'd exhausts to assist.

7. Rooney69

Rooney69 'Sarcasm'

Members Ride:
    VX II S L67
    I vaguely remember it used to do this before I got the exhaust, so yeah I am only hearing it now due to the exhaust.

Would it sound stupid from the outside? as though I am rolling by just revving like some idiot? I can definitely hear it inside the cabin and I think maybe installing good headers would make it at least sound better? sort of like a deeper burble or so on.