Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX L67 revs bouncing when foot is taken off..?

Rooney69

'Sarcasm'
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 3.6
Hi all. I have a VX series II S that is Supercharged and 4 speed auto (think they all are yeah?)

The car is completely stock apart from a twin 2.5" catback with a V8 rear resonator that has twin tips.

Now I have only noticed this problem ever since installing the exhaust on the car, because now I can hear the engine and ding ding I now see why they say commodore autos sound droney.

Basically if I let my foot of the accelerator at any speed above 40-50kph, the revs on the dash bounce between 1000 and 1500 and I literally hear the exhaust bouncing a note as I roll along. This is very noticeable if I come down a hill in D or 3rd (either one) and let my foot off doing say 65-80 it just proceeds to sound as if I am constantly touching the pedal like I want attention and it is driving me nuts!

Is this some kind of pressure build up that is normal, but only notice it now due to the exhaust?

Or a problem with the exhaust? Like, I am desperately trying to find a standard replacement online but it doesn't give me much to work with. Ps, I was dumb and threw the standard system out 6 months ago :[

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Completely normal for the L67. You just can't hear it with the standard pipes on.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Deceleration fuel cutoff - it’s a fuel saving thing. But injectors need to come back in periodically to keep the engine going. That’s the fluctuation you’re noting. You’ll notice the ‘inst fuel’ will go down to 0 on heavy decel when this happens.

Nothing wrong with it at all - you’ll get used to it and won’t even notice soon

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hi all. I have a VX series II S that is Supercharged and 4 speed auto (think they all are yeah?)

The car is completely stock apart from a twin 2.5" catback with a V8 rear resonator that has twin tips.

Now I have only noticed this problem ever since installing the exhaust on the car, because now I can hear the engine and ding ding I now see why they say commodore autos sound droney.

Basically if I let my foot of the accelerator at any speed above 40-50kph, the revs on the dash bounce between 1000 and 1500 and I literally hear the exhaust bouncing a note as I roll along. This is very noticeable if I come down a hill in D or 3rd (either one) and let my foot off doing say 65-80 it just proceeds to sound as if I am constantly touching the pedal like I want attention and it is driving me nuts!

Is this some kind of pressure build up that is normal, but only notice it now due to the exhaust?

Or a problem with the exhaust? Like, I am desperately trying to find a standard replacement online but it doesn't give me much to work with. Ps, I was dumb and threw the standard system out 6 months ago :[
Amplifiers and subwoofers are a optional V6 extra for P platers with mod'd exhausts to assist.

Rooney69

'Sarcasm'
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 3.6
Normal for pretty much all Ecotecs/l67 unless disabled in the tune
Deceleration fuel cutoff - it’s a fuel saving thing. But injectors need to come back in periodically to keep the engine going. That’s the fluctuation you’re noting. You’ll notice the ‘inst fuel’ will go down to 0 on heavy decel when this happens.

Nothing wrong with it at all - you’ll get used to it and won’t even notice soon
I vaguely remember it used to do this before I got the exhaust, so yeah I am only hearing it now due to the exhaust.

Would it sound stupid from the outside? as though I am rolling by just revving like some idiot? I can definitely hear it inside the cabin and I think maybe installing good headers would make it at least sound better? sort of like a deeper burble or so on.