Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX leaking oil onto exhaust manifolds after not being started for a long time

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
My VX has not been driven for a couple of months now and has been sitting in the garage, it has only occasionally been started up and when I do there is a horrible oil burning smell as oil seems to leak from the rocker cover gaskets onto the manifolds as the car warms up.

I have tested the rocker cover bolts for tightness and they are all ok, it did not do this when I was driving it on a daily basis, could it be the fact that oil has been sitting idle in the upper part of the engine and may have harmed the gasket?

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
could be but to change the rocker cover gasket is real easy and the gasket is pretty cheap too.
i did it to my vt 6 a little while back so it might be worth changing yours anyway and seeing how it goes.

simple as taking the engine cover off
undoing the rocker cover bolts,
take off rocker covers
pull gasket off
put new gasket in
put back on and tight rocker cover
do the other side the same way
engine cover back on

and your done

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
If the problem is only a leaking rocker cover gasket I am not in the least bit worried, I would only be concerned if it was something more serious.

But I will probably do what you did DeanoHSV and replace them as it is a very simple and cheap procedure, it is probably a good idea anyway.
cheers for the reply :) and happy motoring.