Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX loses power running on petrol, fine on gas

GransVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S2 Equip
picked up my Grans VX a couple of weeks ago, done 55000km dual fuel and in overall great condition.

Has been running well the last few weeks on gas and petrol, but the last few days running on petrol, it’s suddenly lost power, engine was still running but wouldn’t rev over 2500 and had to pull over.

Switching off the engine and restarting fixed the issue for a couple of minutes but then it came back, same issue, with the same fix. Petrol gauge showed approx 1/4 full before it died but then dropped to almost empty.

Seems to be running fine on gas.

Any ideas what the issue could be? No dashboard lights Fuel filter? Fuel pump? Supposedly there was an issue with the fuel pump which was solved by smacking the fuel tank with a 2x4?

Cheers

James.

H

harrop.senator

I'd pull the pump and clean the tank and filter pump may be stable with how cheap they are I'd replace it and filter. Sounds like someone's ran it on gas permanently for a long time and pumps bad or tanks slush.

GransVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S2 Equip
I'd pull the pump and clean the tank and filter pump may be stable with how cheap they are I'd replace it and filter. Sounds like someone's ran it on gas permanently for a long time and pumps bad or tanks slush.

I think gran ran it exclusively on gas, I've been running a tank of gas then 1/2 a tank of petrol, so you're probably right its stirred up a lot of sludge (or the pumps on the way out) tried it again on the way into work today, was running ok putting around but got onto the free way and under load it shat its self, switched to gas and it was fine. Back to petrol, no power. Will start with the filter and work back from there. worth filling the tank before changing the filter? or do it after?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Personally I’d change the injectors first. Then just find a second hand fuel tank, put a new pump in and fit it. The injectors die quite quickly because of the excessive heat at the fuel rail. The injectors are no longer cooled by the fuel when running on lpg so amplifies the effect.

They’re no fun to play with when they’re full of sludge.