Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Loss of Brakes

ateram2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1
Hi All.
I was driving along braking normally in traffic the other day, then suddenly the pedal went spongy and I had
to pump the brakes. I plenty of space to pull right off the road, then got under the bonnet and the car to look
for any obvious fluid leaks from the master cylinder and the wheels. There were none.

After waiting 40+ minutes on the phone for roadside assistance, and doing another leakage check, I tried the
brakes on the road shoulder. They worked as normal, without having to pump them. I managed to get back to
my place (about 20 km) at reduced speed, without any brake issues at all. I haven't used that car since then.

The question: Given that description, what should I start to look for? In addition. I intend to renew any worn pads
and shoes and flush the old fluid and add new.

Thanks, M.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Have you check the fluid reservoir to see if you have actually lost any fluid?

ateram2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1
Sorry, I forget to mention that I did that and could see no obvious loss in the MC.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Had you been braking hard before this happened? How old is the fluid?

Flush the system with clean fluid and test. If the fluid is old and gotten warm enough it may have boiled creating that spongy feeling that seemed to go away after it cooled down.

ateram2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1
Not braking particularly hard, but just driving in "normal traffic" for about 1/2 an hour.

However, I have never changed the brake fluid :(, and what you say makes sense, so
that'll be the next job, including an inspection of the master cylinder for wear. If it's
worn I'll get a new one. Last time I did this sort of thing was about 30 years ago, so
here's to some "memory lane".

Thanks for your help.
M

Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If it was mine, I'd be replacing the master cylinder.....It's generally a sign it's ready to give up the ghost

ateram2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1
Thanks, VC Commodore. I'm sure leaning that way too.

ateram2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1
Next question: Besides Supercheap, Repco, and others like that, where can I get a genuine one, and
how much should I expect to pay?

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400

58Wayne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Sedan
Hi All.
I was driving along braking normally in traffic the other day, then suddenly the pedal went spongy and I had
to pump the brakes. I plenty of space to pull right off the road, then got under the bonnet and the car to look
for any obvious fluid leaks from the master cylinder and the wheels. There were none.

After waiting 40+ minutes on the phone for roadside assistance, and doing another leakage check, I tried the
brakes on the road shoulder. They worked as normal, without having to pump them. I managed to get back to
my place (about 20 km) at reduced speed, without any brake issues at all. I haven't used that car since then.

The question: Given that description, what should I start to look for? In addition. I intend to renew any worn pads
and shoes and flush the old fluid and add new.

Thanks, M.
Do a full brake fluid flush. Over time brake fluid absorbs moisture and, as its an oil, it degrades too. It should be flushed about every 40 to 50K. You will also find that constant braking, ie: down a long hill with heaps of corners will heat up the fluid leading to brake pedal failure. It happens with any car. I had it happen coming down Mount Seaview, on the Mid North Coast years ago and had to use the handbrake and 2nd gear for around 20 minutes until the fluid had cooled enough to start working again. Simple solution.