Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX LS1 Starter Clicking When Trying To Start

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
Have a VX Berlina LS1 wagon. Has progressively developed an issue when trying to start. When I turn the key I hear a loud click from the starter motor but no cranking. After several attempts it will crank, fire and run.

Before I start this is NOT an immobilizer issue so please don't suggest that as it is totally unrelated. This issue has gone away for periods of time and then returned. I recently changed the starter motor which made absolutely no difference whatsoever. I have also tried another battery which made no difference either.

Battery terminals are tight, earth straps are done up to the body near the ABS unit. Can see an earth connection on front of driver's side head but can't see any others elsewhere, not sure where to look for them on an LS1. Also have recently noticed my battery light coming on and charge voltage spiking to 15.5V so wondering if the two issues are related.

Anyone else had this issue and successfully diagnosed it?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
charge spiking is normally the regulator which you can replace independently of the alternator - it is a part of the entire unit once assembled.

check the connections on the actual starter, the clicking is possibly the starter itself throwing out and not cranking or the relay clicking.

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/goody51/media/Mobile%20Uploads/trim1F8212D4-DB6F-4899-8522-900EA59F89A2.mp4.html anything like this? Mines a ls1 too

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

good question, and you checked the obvious

items to look for are

1) bad earth, the terminals may be secured but the wiring may be heated/worn or slightly corroded they go that blue green colour before they start to fail , try using a jumper lead from the -ve to the engine block or head as a temp earth and see if it starts better as a test

2) bad battery, unless it has the full 12v ( 12.7 ) the surface voltage may be good, but if the battery is on its last legs it may be dropping to say 11v on cranking, this is a 2 man job, have some one place a volt meter on the battery and read out the voltage, then turn on ignition, see what it drops to,as a test turn on lights and heater fan etc to draw current , see what is drops top , then crank the car , this will tell you if the battery is ok
failing that,you can try placing another car with then engine running next to yours and use jumper leads, now try and start your car, if it cranks over fine then you know the battery was at fault

if it is still clicking or the same issue then #3 is your answer

3) starter motor or solenoid is on the starter on its way out, this happens with age and more so when you have extractors and they are close to the starter the heat kills them fast.

regards
george

tharindu.perera

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 2001 LS1
Have a VX Berlina LS1 wagon. Has progressively developed an issue when trying to start. When I turn the key I hear a loud click from the starter motor but no cranking. After several attempts it will crank, fire and run.

Before I start this is NOT an immobilizer issue so please don't suggest that as it is totally unrelated. This issue has gone away for periods of time and then returned. I recently changed the starter motor which made absolutely no difference whatsoever. I have also tried another battery which made no difference either.

Battery terminals are tight, earth straps are done up to the body near the ABS unit. Can see an earth connection on front of driver's side head but can't see any others elsewhere, not sure where to look for them on an LS1. Also have recently noticed my battery light coming on and charge voltage spiking to 15.5V so wondering if the two issues are related.

Anyone else had this issue and successfully diagnosed it?

Hi Mick!
I know it's been 5 years since you posted this but I am having the same problem. I can't find the problem and driving me nuts. It's just like yours it will crank and fire after a couple of tries sometimes a bit longer and it's very annoying. I have a new battery. Terminals are tight. New key from Holden Phoenix. My old key and new key work the same. It just clicks everytime I try its just maddening. I just don't have a lot of money atm to spend and really need my car working and don't want to sell. I'm pre sure the starter motor is in good nick and it can't be that bec it works after a couple of tries. My friend reckons it's ignition barrel but no one seems to repair not even bloody Phoenix Holden bec my statesman is too old.
Your reply would mean so much

Thank You,
Tharindu. (T)

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hi Mick!
I know it's been 5 years since you posted this but I am having the same problem. I can't find the problem and driving me nuts. It's just like yours it will crank and fire after a couple of tries sometimes a bit longer and it's very annoying. I have a new battery. Terminals are tight. New key from Holden Phoenix. My old key and new key work the same. It just clicks everytime I try its just maddening. I just don't have a lot of money atm to spend and really need my car working and don't want to sell. I'm pre sure the starter motor is in good nick and it can't be that bec it works after a couple of tries. My friend reckons it's ignition barrel but no one seems to repair not even bloody Phoenix Holden bec my statesman is too old.
Your reply would mean so much

Thank You,
Tharindu. (T)
lt can be the starter solinoid sticking.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
It sounds like you might have a wiring problem in the loom somewhere. I would install a separate (high capacity) power cable running from the battery +ve to the starter motor +ve terminal, and see if that makes a difference. Make sure you disconnect the battery before trying to install the cable.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
FWIW I had a similar problem with a vz 6, and once I charged the battery up to full, the problem went away.
This happened on 2 vz's.

tharindu.perera

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 2001 LS1
FWIW I had a similar problem with a vz 6, and once I charged the battery up to full, the problem went away.
This happened on 2 vz's.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply been having so much work recently. So I've been using my new key and it has the little metal piece on it the transponder or whatever on the remote whereas the old one doesn't but that's not the problem. Now I try slowly turning the key making sure that metal piece touches the security ring and it starts nicely. Sometimes it doesn't and when I pull and push vice versa on the key sometimes she fires up. Sometimes I have to take the key out and turn the side (so annoying) and do all sorts of stuff. (Not good when you are in a rush)

Parked at the train station this morning pre hot weather came back in the afternoon started up fine when I turned it and then pulled the key while going on ignition.

Did I mention that not long ago I put my car on the hoist at my practicals course in the workshop and I think my lectures was hitting the fuel pump (not intentionally) and its been dead quiet since he did that. Before I bought the car it has made this whirring noise (kinda glad its quiet but start clicking is so loud and embarrassing) is it supposed to make a noise?

Right now I am going to put my money towards ignition barrel replacement as I feel something is wrong there. If not starter, if not fuel pump and if not then bad wires like @BlackVXGTS says thanks for the replies guys you've all been really quick to response I am still surprised forums are going pre good.

It's my first Holden car and I love it just needs alot of things done and would like this out of the way as I need new tyres, brake rotors and pads and when I cruise I hear a noise on the left passenger side in the front. I know my cv boot cover in the rear left is cracked so I put cable ties and what seems to be like bushes on the front left are not looking good according to someone in my class who saw it on the hoist. ( I feel like could be my brake pads and rotors (pre thin).

@
rambunctious I'll try your method as well charge the battery but honestly its pretty new thats what the owner said although he had kept it in storage for 6 months (explains fuel pump whirring) I've cleaned the car best I can with brake cleaner under and electronic spray cleaner on the fuse box area where dusty and everything.

I just want my starting problem to fix hopefully it is only ignition barrel (fingers crossed)