Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Master Window LED light issue

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
Hi all. I took out my power window switch to convert to LED. Snipped out the green leds from factory. Now i'm not sure on the polarity of the posts to soldier in the new LEDs.

I have 2 questions:

1. What is the polarity of the posts? Can someone use my image and draw some on for me please.
2. My LED's have resistors on them. Can I leave them on or do I need to soldier them straight on without resistors?

VXlights.jpg

Cheers.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
I did mate. I even stuck a 9 volt battery on each light to test which way it came on. From what I tested the light came on with the + pole on the right side (in this image) and the negative - terminal on the left side. I snipped them out and put LED's back in the same way but none of them lit up. That's why i'm asking in here. Surely someone has done the conversion before and knows which way the go. I've looked up many threads about it but nobody has posted up the actual way the LED's go in. Just to say that they go in. So any info would be helpful.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Why don't you use the the main plug from the car to tell you?

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not sure what you mean my 'use the main plug'..

If anybody has a legitimate knowledge of wiring in LED's, please post up a reply. Thanks.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Did you measure the voltage? Have you tried switching the leads on one of the LEDS around?

Most LEDs require 3volts. The longer lead is the + but if you have cut the leads off, this will help:
c2422_led-polarity-tester.jpg

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
If you have a 12volt input you need to put a 470K 1/2 watt resistor on the + lead to bring the input voltage down to 3v.
I'm guessing you didn't do this so you may have blown your LEDs.

4 band resistor - yellow, violet, yellow
5 band resistor - yellow, violet, black, orange

Last edited:

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
All my LED's already came with a resistor on them. I just want to know the voltage of the posts in the master switch as seen in post 1. I tried running a multimeter over the posts but I can't get an answer. I dont know if they are all required to be wired in series correctly for the voltage to flow through all of them or if each one has it's own separate circuit.