Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx motor rattle after 10mins and burning smell

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Something is getting sloppy when the engine is getting hot so I’d check all the external bits of the motor first. As such I’d take accessory belt off and check all ancillary gear spins nicely by hand, after a drive. Check the water pump turns nicely while you’re there.... I‘d also check all gear around the motor isn’t loose and things are all tied/bolted down as those things should be.

Also take a good look at the belt and all pulleys the belt runs on for any signs of slip and thus burning from the heat such can generate. You could have a seizing up WP when things get hot which may account for the overheating and smell…

A burning smell can only come from something combustible falling on a hot surface or friction generating enough heat to burn things... It can be wiring touching, or oil falling on the exhaust or a slipping belt (belt slip doesn’t always squeal)…

If all of the above look ok, then it must be internal to the engine so noise could be chains or balancer (if your engine has one)... but I’d not think such would cause a burning smell or overheating on their own.

Best make a YouTube video of the issue if possible and drop the link here so forum members can see/hear the issue and thus make better more targeted comments.

Oh, and check your HB as it may have the wobbles which on some engine designs can impact timing which can then impact whether the engine looses power and overheats… Not sure if this can be a problem on the EcoTec.

PS: doesn't the EcoTec suffer from cooling system airlocks thus bleeding the air out is rather important… If you’ve had a recent coolant change/leak and/or the system has lost coolant from the overflow tank and sucked air in because the overflow tank was too low, then that may account for the overheating… Just another thing to check… Point is, the problem needs to be broken down into manageable chunks…

Copls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Something is getting sloppy when the engine is getting hot so I’d check all the external bits of the motor first. As such I’d take accessory belt off and check all ancillary gear spins nicely by hand, after a drive. Check the water pump turns nicely while you’re there.... I‘d also check all gear around the motor isn’t loose and things are all tied/bolted down as those things should be.

Also take a good look at the belt and all pulleys the belt runs on for any signs of slip and thus burning from the heat such can generate. You could have a seizing up WP when things get hot which may account for the overheating and smell…

A burning smell can only come from something combustible falling on a hot surface or friction generating enough heat to burn things... It can be wiring touching, or oil falling on the exhaust or a slipping belt (belt slip doesn’t always squeal)…

If all of the above look ok, then it must be internal to the engine so noise could be chains or balancer (if your engine has one)... but I’d not think such would cause a burning smell or overheating on their own.

Best make a YouTube video of the issue if possible and drop the link here so forum members can see/hear the issue and thus make better more targeted comments.

Oh, and check your HB as it may have the wobbles which on some engine designs can impact timing which can then impact whether the engine looses power and overheats… Not sure if this can be a problem on the EcoTec.

PS: doesn't the EcoTec suffer from cooling system airlocks thus bleeding the air out is rather important… If you’ve had a recent coolant change/leak and/or the system has lost coolant from the overflow tank and sucked air in because the overflow tank was too low, then that may account for the overheating… Just another thing to check… Point is, the problem needs to be broken down into manageable chunks…
Fixed thanks for your help was air system needed bleeding