Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX NA alternator experiences.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
I have just had some interesting but routine alternator experiences with my VX V6 Commodore.
A long while ago the original alt developed a fault - a dim glowing battery light. Checked the dash voltage meter, it was a bit low (13-ish volts rings a bell, it WAS a long time ago). I was pressed for time (due to go away next day) so I got a 2nd hand unit. It had "VT" crayoned on it and the wrecker said they are all the same.
Got it home, and it didn't fit... The mounting bracket was different to the original unit. But using a spacer all was good. Until I started the car. Huge belt whine! Then I noticed the alterantor wasn't "square" to the belt. Also the pu;;ley was closer to the alternator front case. I thought either the VT and VX alternators were different or maybe a supercharged one? So instead I swapped the regulators over - no go at all? Put the spare reg in the original alt. That didn't go either? Swapped them back and both alternators worked (except the original was still faulty - as in the dim battery light). And the 2nd hand "VT" unit had very badly worn slip rings.
I then shelled out for a new alternator - a Chinese cheapy - all I could find at short notice. All fixed. all good.
Tha was quite a few years ago. About 50 or 60 thousand k's ago.
Yesterday that alternator died. I had been on a long trip (350k's) and all ok. Next day - short trip - ok. Then really noisy! Pulled it apart - rear bearing disintegrated.
Front bearing a bit gritty too. Slip rings look good, brushes good.
So I decided to pull the beaqrings off one of the old spares I had (Bosch). Same size bearings as in the Chinese cheapie by the way. Followed the guide (on an old thread on here).
Did the rear bearing ok. But no proper puller for the front one. No drama. I did this: Dismantle the alt by removing the regulator/brush assembly. Remove the four screws holding the two halves of the case together. It falls apart. Remove the pulley. Remove the 4 screws holding the front bearing retainer in. Hold the front case over the edge of a bench and gently tap on the rotor shaft with a hide (soft) hammer, holding the rotor as it wil drop out. All good so far.
Now how to remove the bearing from the rotor shaft without the right puller? Easy. Use the bearing retainer to push the bearing off the shaft. Get the 4 screws that held the bearing retainer into the front casing and screw then back into the bearing retainer. Screw them in evenly until they contact the rotor fan base. Keep screwing- evenly turn by turn on each screw. At one point the bearing will start to move. Keep screwing until the bearing comes off the shaft.
So, bearings replaced, all good. Re-installed alternator, tested ok (gosh that dashboard voltmeter is handy!) Cost = $0.

Reactions: Lex

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
alternators are super easy to reco - if you have the means go for it.

disassemble
replace bearings
machine rings
new brushes
clean all parts
re-assemble.