Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] Vx need blue slip don't have rego papers

Vx5ty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 5 speed
Hi everyone I need to blueslip my car but people are telling me if I don't have rego papers they can't do it??? So will I be able to take the car to the shop and get blueslip without them

Thanx :)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You're in NSW. Registration laws in this state are extremely strict and the inspection station will only carry out the inspection if they have certain information which those rego papers provide. One of the most critical things those papers prove is ownership.

How are you going to prove legitimate ownership without the necessary papers? And why don't you have the papers?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
No...registration doesn't prove ownership, receipts do.
Anyone can register a car, it doesn't mean they own it. It just means it's registered and
only proves how a vehicle came into your possession.

I think it may be on the registration certificate.
My daughters car is registered in my name.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hey Nuts

I realise that my statement can be misconstrued.

I assume that, as it is NSW that we are talking about, a blue slip is needed to certify that a car is fit to be re-registered after a lengthy period off the road? Pink slips are for normal registration renewals, but you need to get a blue slip if the car has been unregistered for a longer period of time (I think more than 1 year, but can't be sure.) That would be the case with the OP. As he doesn't have the rego papers, he needs to get a bill of sale from the last registered owner to prove that he obtained the car legally. He MIGHT have to also provide a statutory declaration regarding his possession but things might have changed since my time. When I tried to re-register a car I purchased after it a had been off the road for a long time, the bullshit I had to go through was incredible. That was 20 years ago and it's no easier now.

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
That's fine Cal.
I see where you are coming from mate.

I did however find these which may be helpful for the OP.

This...."Remember that the receipt is the only proof that you now own the vehicle. The Roads and Maritime Services certificate of registration shows only the person who takes responsibility for the vehicle, it does not prove ownership"; From this.... Before you buy a car - NSW Fair Trading

And this....Before you buy a car - NSW Fair Trading

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
That's fine Cal.
I see where you are coming from mate.

I did however find these which may be helpful for the OP.

This...."Remember that the receipt is the only proof that you now own the vehicle. The Roads and Maritime Services certificate of registration shows only the person who takes responsibility for the vehicle, it does not prove ownership"; From this.... Before you buy a car - NSW Fair Trading

And this....Before you buy a car - NSW Fair Trading

This forum is funny. I took some editing my second post, and you were still able to read it in its original form. I cleaned it out and gave further info for the OP above.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Ha-ha, sorry Cal. I missed the edit. :doh:

I think the OP gets the idea.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
From my years of experience getting blue slips. I have never needed rego papers or a reciept to get a blue slip, they however certainly help make it easier for the workshop to do the blue slip(i have had one say they cant do a bluey without them but it has nothing to do with them if you own the car or not or whether its stolen). At the RMS you will need proof of ownership, if you dont have the signed rego papers from the last owner you will need a receipt showing the sale price, the sellers name, the vin and engine numbers also the sellers address.

Cheers Shane