Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx oil pressure

airforceone

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais superc6
when i break suddenly from say at least 70kph the oil pressure dummy light goes on on the dash and the audible alrm goes off, then dissapears. anyone had or no what this is from. the thing is i have an oil press gauge teed of from the same spot and the oil pessure is fine. i was wondering if the oil light maybe comes on when the oils low or somthin ,the breaking fast is rocking the oil foward making it seem low? just a guess.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id be checking the engine oil level.It might be down a bit.If its fine, make sure the dipstick you have has not been swapped or replaced with another one from another model,as they change sumps etc for each model like on the ecotec engine, and the dipsticks probably have different fill levels marked.Im not 100% sure about this,Ive never compared them,but its might be worth checking out if you find nothing else...Ive seen this happen once before which resulted in a blown up engine.Usually this only happens when braking extremely hard.Its not good for the engine either.All the oil goes to the front of the sump and away from the oil pickup,this can starve the engine of oil for a second or two,not good for engine bearings etc.

airforceone

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais superc6
yeh nah the dipstics original and its only breaking from 70 without the abs goin off cars break at that pace all the time so its nothin crazy enough to do that i think the level is a little low but i thort the light was only for oil pressure , is it for level aswell ? cause i was just having a stab in the dark when i said that.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah,it shouldnt be doing that,I can near stand my VS ecotec up on its nose under braking, and it wont even flicker the oil light.I have had it come on a couple of times before though under really heavy braking,and it was always that the oil level was a bit low that caused it.When its right on the full mark,the light wont come on at all no matter how hard I brake.I dont know what else could cause this to happen if the oil level is right,it nearly has to be either the oil level or an oil pump pickup problem,or your brakes and tyres are just very good...If it was a faulty oil pressure sensor,it wouldnt happen just when braking hard,but then again,it might be worth checking it out,they only cost $25 new from holden for the ecotec engine,and they take 2 minutes to replace...I always fill my oil just a tad over the full mark on the dipstick.Ive done this for years now with every car Ive had,and have never had a problem yet.

airforceone

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais superc6
yeh cheers man , well the oil is a little bit low so that could be it, hopfully a simple fix i found an old post on here just before a guy havin the same thing and a far few people said the same thing happens on vt/vx , i guess if my gauge still says theres pressure thats the main thing, cheers for the help.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah,the VT /VX has way better brakes too than the VS, probably why its more likely to happen on the VT and later models.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I had that exact problem, and like others above have said, caused by low oil level.

airforceone

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais superc6
giddy up ,easy fix, thanks lads

Jacko84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina soon to be 5L
yeah ive herd of this once before with oil low but still within the marks i allways fill my ecotec up a couple of mil past full and it allways seems to like it rather than a little low