Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Power steering struggling and groaning at low speeds

Gabster118

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina SII V6 3.8L
Hey guys,
I have an issue with the power steering in my VX (Ecotec V6).
It has gotten worse recently, basically when I'm not moving, the power steering is near dead, I essentially cannot move the wheels.
WHen I'm travelling slowly (5kmh) it struggles, and is a pain to move. As you can imagine, parking has become an absolute &*$% and reverse parallel parking is near impossible.
I also found, that when I do something 'silly', such as full lock and then floor the gas, The power steering will just conk out and die.
If I then leave the car off for a bit or continue driving it will slowly revive itself.

No issues when travelling at speeds, its just when barely moving that it seriously struggles and also makes this 'groaning' noise.

What may be the issue? I think that I may just need a new pump? I will get it checked out, but perhaps someone knows for sure and that will save me some $$$ if I can do it myself.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
If the power steering fluid level is low it will groan when you turn. If the fluid level is ok then your pump is faulty.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Either the rack is dying but more then likely its the pump

Mine sounded like a supercharger when i got my car, knew was failing and eventually got it changed. It would fail in turning sometimes and groan like a woman wanting some man love.

Changed it and now quiet as a woman in afterglow that got man love

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
^Ahahahaha! Yeah I'm pretty sure its the pump. Getting it checked out next week.

Theres heaps available. Know your prices and dont always agree to the first price
Even do as i did, supplied my own genuine part. Cost me half the price my 'ex mechanic' quoted me

Heres the bloke i got mine from but one for your car.
COMMODORE V6 VN VP VR VS VT VX VY POWER STEERING PUMP NEW GENUINE GMH HOLDEN | eBay

I had issues with the courier used, ended up sending via Aussie Post (my unit block is hard to find)

Dunno if you need a pulley though, thats something to ask.

But yeh. Worth getting a new one. Should last another a very long time

Gabster118

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina SII V6 3.8L
I ended up getting a mechanic mate of mine to look at it, left it for him over the weekend. He found out that the pump was simply stuffed. He got me a new one and replaced it for the price of a carton of beers haha. Works awesome now, I can actually park again!