Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx r8 troubles help

bubz clubbyr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx r8 clubsport
i have a vx r8 clubsport.never had any problem until 2yr into owning it.we are the 3rd owner and it has only done 158,000km which isnt to bd for its year.last year alone have had to have the radiator replaced fan terminals due to them frying, o2,tail shaft coupling, shockers springs,ignition barrel,gear stick button,rotors back and front,computer over rides due to false reading of leaning on left and right of engine, bushes replaced drivers side front n back and tri rod z bar also.now ive been told that now the sterring rack is needing replacing also due to excessive movement.
unknown problem of wearing on passenger front tyre on the inside aswell as brakes ont hat side wearing down quicker than the drivers side.
to top it off now there is a crunching noise coming from the drivers side front when puchin in the break peddal.does anyone know of why it is doing this?
please help as in the past yr n half have spent $6,000 not including rego butincluding services and tyre yet everytime the car goes in another problem is found.
its very frustrating and at the moment i really dont want to spend anymore money than i have 2 on it

Last edited:

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Sounds like it has had a hard life an now unfortunately your paying for it.

bubz clubbyr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx r8 clubsport
yeah seems that way.drive it normally though nothing stupid or anything.keep being told by the mechanic that its normal for its age but i havent heard of anyone having to have so much done to it in such a short time.
its a lovely car but frustrating as hell

bubz clubbyr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx r8 clubsport
any ideas on the crunching noise though when breaking?its only when u push in the peddal hard

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
maybe a rock stuck in between the rotor an pad or no pad left at all an its metal on metal.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah seems that way.drive it normally though nothing stupid or anything.keep being told by the mechanic that its normal for its age but i havent heard of anyone having to have so much done to it in such a short time.
its a lovely car but frustrating as hell

sounds like all the parts you have replaced are the original parts that came with the car an having that many ks they have held up well but now that you have repalced them shouldnt have to worry about them for another 100,000kms not really much you can do mate either sell it or keep replacing the parts as they break by the sounds of it you dont have much left to fix.
EDIT:But if you keep it serviced from now on you shouldnt have many more troubles with it .

bubz clubbyr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx r8 clubsport
it has new brake pads and rotors neither are worn down.we found out it has the harrop performance brakes etc.noise only start with breaks after suspension was changed.it now has slotted 343mm rotors ont he front it used 2 have drilled.mayb there isnt enough ventilation and thats y the breaks still scream when it is hot???

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Re the problems on the LFS, have you had a proper wheel alignment? There are very few places that can do a proper wheel alignment - perhaps some of the forum members in Brisbane could suggest some places.

Slotted rotors are a bit noisier than drilled rotors but I would describe the noise as more of a buzzing noise due to the slots, than crunching. Make sure that the caliper bolts and wheel nuts have been tightened to the correct torque.

Chilli_Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX XU6
Look out for the ABS modules, they're a pain in the backside when they let go and being a HSV you need the HSV specific coded ones otherwise your immobiliser will intervene as I've recently learnt the hard way.
$800 or so new from Holden too.