Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Rims & Tyres

stig1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series 2
I am interested in getting some new rims & tyres for my vx executive series 2 sedan. At present they have what the factory standard.

What size rims can i go up to without having to get the speedo / trip changed. As i do like the 19inch ve wheels!

n0tepad

Reaction score
Website
www.joshsgasandplumbing.com.au
Members Ride
VX Calais V6 Supercharged
legally you can only go up 2 inches in rim diameter from what your car was originally fitted with. police can defect a car for illegal rim diameter.
im sure you could use a 19 inch rim with hardly any rubber around it to keep your speedo ratio the same. the tyre shop would love to tell you all about as they slide your visa card through their eftpos machine.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Rather than rely on some kid in a tyre shop, here's a calculator that you can work out what size tyres will get the same rolling diameter:
Tire size calculator
The standard comm tyre is ~627mm in diameter, of course not all the tyre sizes on the calculator may be available in Australia and you'll be at the mercy of the tyre shops again for correct info here.

stig1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series 2
That calculator doesnt support for a low profile tyres...ive been looking at a set of 17inch alloys with low profile tyres....i shouldnt have any problems?

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
How low were you thinking of, it calculates for 25 profile.
If you went 25 profile you'd need 275/25R19 on some very wide rims to get the correct rolling diameter.

stig1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series 2
Can someone help me with the required tyre size for a set of 18inch rims which wont change my speedometer reading!
Sorry guys i'm not up to all the technical car stuff! First car!

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
What is wrong with the tyre calculator?
Enter the stock tyre: 205/65/15 and you will see it has a diameter of 647mm(sorry quoted 627mm before...wrong)
Basically by trial and error enter the data for the new tyre, starting with the rim diameter of 18inch vary the width and profile until you have the same diameter as the stock tyre.
Came up with 235/40/18 being very close. Now all you gotta do is see whether that tyre is available.