Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX rough idle and high fuel consumption....running out of ideas??

carbogun

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some ideas on what to do next to fix a few issues on my VX. There are NO error codes showing. The issues are:

- Running rough at idle, can shake at times. Revs vary from around 1000 RPM to 600-700 RPM.
- Starts weird. Doesn't do this every time, but sometimes turning the key results in an "instant" start. Instead of the usual "click-click-click-smooth start", it's more like "THUD-start". And the revs sit high at about 1000 RPM, which eventually drops to around 600-700 after driving for a bit.
- Poor fuel economy, getting around 15 to 16L per 100km
- May be running rich as I have smelt a fuel smell around the exhaust

So far I have:

- Completely cleaned throttle and upper inlet manifold.
- Replaced fuel filter
- Replaced leads and spark plugs
- Replaced fuel injectors
- Cleaned PCV and IAC

The car has over 260,000kms. Any ideas appreciated on what could cause the above symptoms....

--CB

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
going out on a limb and suggesting coil packs, if it only does this warm then maybe O2 sensors.

I'm assuming a V6 not a V8?

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
Get some degreaser and spray around all the joins in the intake and all the hoses that come off the intake pipe and throttle body.
If the revs go up or the idle get smoother when you spray in a specific area then you've found a leak.

I noticed you haven't cleaned your MAF and IAT sensors.
Give those a quick blast of electrical contact cleaner or MAF cleaner.

You could also try taking your battery leads off for 30 minutes to reset the ECU.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
you should find it should start around 1000 then drop back to 600-700 on warm up, is your car on gas , check or replace your idle control valve maybe sticking or clean it with carbie cleaner(repco are cheapest @ $28) , how's your air filter , so many possibility , how about running some fuel injector cleaner in your petrol, or premium unleaded. coil packs usely fail under a load, also check around to make shore their are no hoses have popped off.