Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX S (auto) TRACTION CONTROL

timothy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX II SS
Hey guys I just bought a VX S and there is no traction control button. It's really strange because my friend has the exact same car (his is 2001 model mine is 2000) and he has the button. What's even weirder is, my car has/had traction control. When I first got it (like two weeks ago) I tested it out to see if I had it, but now it has stopped working. Does anybody know what I can check to know what needs to be replaced? How much would a new traction control unit thing be?

P.S. both my friend and my car are auto.

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
i had the impression some of the company/fleet cars had traction but no button to turn it off

timothy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX II SS
ah ok that'd make sense because the guy i bought it off said it was originally his company/fleet car (he was the first owner). well i'm not worried about a button, i'd prefer to have traction control on always (yeah i know, what a poofta I am) hence why i'd like to get it working again.

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
There is always a button. Traction control wasn't standard on the 2000 VX S. It became standard on the S starting with the VX series 2 which was released in mid 2001. Most likely doesn't have it.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
my vx 1 exec has traction control, maybe it was an option?

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
Look under the bonnet for the throttle relaxer on the throttle cable. I assume they are in the same spot as the LS1s - LH side of the car on the firewall.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
goose, I have a 1997/8 Acclaim wagon which has trac control and button for same. There is no throttle relaxer where you describe it or anywhere else as I replaced my throttle cable with a VX one (shorter). Trac control still works. My GMH manual tells me Traction Control is managed by altering timing and shutting down up to 5 injectors until the slippage is stopped. But then you are talking about the 5.7L v8 which I assume is different. But knowing the Holden manufacturers, I wonder why they use two different types of Traction Control on the same car?

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
The Ecotecs drop cylinders so you don't have the torque to spin the wheels. No throttle relaxer on them. It was one of the commonly purchased options for an Executive along with cruise control and power windows. Became standard gear on the S pack with the VX series 2.

My VX series 2 Executive doesn't have it but my VT series 1 Executive wagon does.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I have full options on my 97 VT Acclaim apart from power windows (cheap bastards), has a power and traction button.

Cant work out why they didn't get the power windows if they paid extra for everything else.

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
Executive was the Commodore aimed at fleet buyers to use as work vehicles.
Acclaim was meant to be for families so had the extra airbag, cruise control, traction control and ABS as standard.
The VT S and SS didn't even have power windows either, series 2 did as standard.

Funnily enough, the VT Berlina didn't have Traction Control as standard either.