Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX S - manifold insulator and plenum spacer

nzBrowny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Commodore Manual
Gudday

Im looking at putting one or both of either the insulator or the spacer on, but want to keep the engine cover on and not have to butcher it to make things fit.

Is there any point in putting both a small manifold insulator and a small plenum spacer (both the 12mm), or is it better to just get one big one (ie the 25 mm manifold insulator)?

Dont have much plans to spend heaps on roller rockers at this stage, just got a k&n panel filter and gunna plumb up a diy CAI

thanks for any help

browny

nzBrowny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Commodore Manual
wow quick reply!
ok thanks. i finally found some other measurements - looks like the 25mm insulator might fit with no trimming of the cover?

also in regards to the 82degree thermostat - and sorry if this is a dumb question - does this mean the waterpump is running more constantly so likely to die earlier than if left stock?

cheers
browny (not even close to being mechanically minded).

D-Renzow

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice & VQ Stato
The water pump will be runing all the time the engine is running as the dont run a clucth hub system like on other cars.

Cheers David

MACE

Reaction score
wow quick reply!
ok thanks. i finally found some other measurements - looks like the 25mm insulator might fit with no trimming of the cover?

also in regards to the 82degree thermostat - and sorry if this is a dumb question - does this mean the waterpump is running more constantly so likely to die earlier than if left stock?

cheers
browny (not even close to being mechanically minded).

If you trust your measurements then I trust your judgment :)

In regards to your thermostat question, the water pumps run all the time as Dave has mentioned :) If anything it will probably last longer with the thermostat as it's more often pumping cooler coolant then what it normally would without.

Cheers,
Steve

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Quality of coolant and engine belt alignment will kill the pump before the thermo will.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
to original poster, i ran both 12mm's for ages, definately worked:D
my mate now uses them as i've upgraded and he loves em too...

nzBrowny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Commodore Manual
thanks fullas.
steve - the measurements werent ones i made, i just saw them in another thread. but thanks, ill finish saving the pennys up then order some stuff over.
do you guys have a store in nz at all?

MACE

Reaction score
Quality of coolant and engine belt alignment will kill the pump before the thermo will.
Very true, along with belt tension, for arguments sake some one slips on a slightly smaller belt but puts much more stress on all of the bearings, significantly reducing fatigue life.

thanks fullas.
steve - the measurements werent ones i made, i just saw them in another thread. but thanks, ill finish saving the pennys up then order some stuff over.
do you guys have a store in nz at all?
Best to take measurements yourself as every car is different, in particular engine mounts, whether they're aftermarket or genuine, new old etc. We send stuff to NZ on a weekly basis, but we don't have a shop as such, but we do have a VERY good support rep over your way, so if you do get into some strife I'm sure you'll get looked after :) In saying this though we're also a phone call or email away.

Cheers,
Steve

nzBrowny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Commodore Manual
thanks steve.
i'll be a jackass and ask on this thread aswell - an upsized MAF - i see on they are available but cant find them on your own website. do you guys have them?
with that though, the local garage here reckons that the computer will have to be retuned to take advantage of the bigger MAF, and that if its not i will likely get computer errors?
thanks again