Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX S pak shock absorbers: Suggestions?

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
VX S pak. Pretty much standard. I replaced the factory shocks as I didn't like the jiggly ride. I had had success with Sensa-tracs on my old Magna so I thought I'd give them a try on the S.
They were great. Well damped but in corners they didn't allow the car to wallow and body roll.
I went through 3 sets of Sensa-tracs over the next 300,000 k's. But Monroe they stopped making them for my Commodore. I put in a set of Monroe GT Gas next. I could feel the difference straight away! And not in a good way. "Jiggly" ride was back! And now after 15,000 k's they feel worn out. Very rough on the road, on a reasonably long drive (100 k's plus) they are worse. It feels like the oil is aerating.
I got so fed up with the harsh, jiggly ride, I put a (worn) set of sensa-tracs back on the rear. Much better but they are worn.

So, I understand they fitted Sensa-tracs to HSV's and Monaro's.
What are the owners of those doing? And can anyone suggest - intelligently, a suitable replacement? The manufacturers just say GT gas... They are NOT the same.

VT13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina V6 Sedan
GT Gas have standard pistons for standard height suspension, the GT Sport have a shortened piston for lowered suspension. Assuming you have FE2 on the S pak, your springs should be one to one and a half inches lower than standard, and therefore you might want to be looking at the GT Sport. Might also be worth considering new springs if they have not been renewed as they will be inducing some slop if they are old. GT-Sports are designed/optimised for lowered height King springs.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Thanks, VT13. I shied away from the GT Sport because the "experts" said they'd be too harsh. I suspect that might have been on a standard suspension.
Have you had any personal experience with them?

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I have a v2 monaro is running super low peders springs = so about 10/15mm lower than fe2.
They have been in the car for about 40,000kms.
About 18 months ago handling was /had deteriorated = found front shocks were shagged.
Replaced with koni adjustable ( for rebound).
These are an insert and you need to modify and re-use your strut.

I could feel a difference between the rebound settings.

You would have to get the shortened ones if fe2 height or lower.

Just last month after again the handling balance having deteriorated I have fitted the rear koni sport shocks which are also adjustable for rebound.

So now koni and peders all around and I'm very happy.
They're not cheap I payed $690 for rear shocks but are easy to adjust. Just open bonnet or boot , you get handles just put on top of strut/shock and turn .

There is a 760 degree adjustment range.
To help with pain of cost they should last longer and are rebuildable.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Don't worry about what the experts say. I much prefer stiff shocks than soft sloppy ones. The added bonus of getting stiff shocks to start with is that they soften up and become more comfortable over time. They kind of mature with age like a good woman ;) so you get more miles out of them than shocks that are soft to start with.
Personally I stay away from Monroe because they don't last. KYB are quite good and BOGE Turbo are great, have these on my car for the last 5 years and they've handled all kinds of punishment! I think they are called Sachs now?
Pedders sports riders are ok for a local shock if you like firm shocks, specially in the back.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Thanks for the responses guys.
I've always had problems with shocks, most of the cars I have had in my 50 years of driving have had changed/uprated shocks as I keep running out of shock absorbing ability on standard ones! I do (and always have done) a fair bit of Australian country road "spirited" driving.
Afstruct: I had similar to your koni's an an XE Foulcan way back. They were better than the factory ones! I found the adjustments fairly ineffective, but I probably didn't pay much attention to adjusting and then testing in a subtle manner.
I also am a bit older than I was then and my bum is probably more sensitive!
But thanks for the input, gives me food for thought.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
What size rims are you running? Less wall harsher the ride. Don't use Pedder's they are ****, I just use Gabriel haven't had a issue , maybe you need softer springs..

VT13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina V6 Sedan
Thanks, VT13. I shied away from the GT Sport because the "experts" said they'd be too harsh. I suspect that might have been on a standard suspension.
Have you had any personal experience with them?

G'day mate, yes, the Brother in-law went with the GT-Sports and Lowered King Springs on a VYII Calais...ridden in and driven it many times. I view it as a very good combination which can be achieved at a very reasonable price point. He used Lowered King Springs and it eventually settled about 25mm lower than the old standard springs. Looks real nice, not overdone and does not scrub on 235/45/17. What's it drive like, make no mistake it's significantly firmer than standard, it's not a brick but you certainly know you are no longer riding on standard suspension. FE2 is stiffer than standard, I'd say this combo take it a little firmer than FE2. Handling...transformed. Comparing it to my VTII Berlina on standard well maintained suspension (it's on GT-Gas and Nolathane bushes), it's a sports car.

Can you confirm you have FE2 on your S-pac? If so I'd have thought the GT-Sports would of been the recommendation to fit over GT-Gas given FE2's should be sitting 25-30mm lower than standard.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Don't use Pedder's they are ****, I just use Gabriel haven't had a issue , maybe you need softer springs..
Gabriel? Wow. I used Gabriel once. I put them in the back of my VH. It was impossible to feel any difference between the new Gabriels and the 20 year old shocks I pulled out so I'm never using them again. You can get much better products than that without looking too hard.