Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX sedan rear crossmember bush refitting problem

vxslider88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe 3.8l
Hey guys,

So I've just replaced the original rubber crossmember bushes with a Nolathane bush kit. The problem I am having is that I can't for the life of me get that centre retaining bolt to line up to the threaded hole in the floor pan or the hole in the retaining plate.

I've got the rear of the car up on ramps in the driveway and have spent all morning under the bloody thing jacking from different points to see if that helps with the hole alignment.

Anyone whose done this before I'd love to hear how you got it all back together??

Cheers.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Hmmmm.
Front or rear????
Either way, you will need a "Crossmember Centreing Tool".

The following is for the rear, taken from the Factory Service manual.

Last edited:

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Because Holden workshop jigs are in everyones tool kit....

Have you backed everything right off and got all the bolts started before tightening?

jamesjgts25t

Reaction score
Members Ride
180sx
Mine was the same, ended up crossthreading the big bolt :O
I got a thread repairer to come and helicoil the thread. Then when the thread guy went to bolt the crossmember up he had issues lining it up aswell.

A year or so later I changed the rear end for a VZ one to gain the toe links and the VZ crossmember went in easy. Maybe because the control arms and swaybar weren't bolted up(??)

vxslider88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe 3.8l
I ended up jacking the rear at the diff and having the wheels hanging. This allowed for easier movement of the rear control arms. After hanging off each control arm and levering off different parts of the sub frame I was able to insert the bolt centre retaining bolts. I then used a jack under the head to apply pressure to the bolt, I then rotated the head with a spanner until it got decent purchads in the threaded hole in the floor pan. Problem solved.

Thanks for the input guys.