Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx Sedan

El Barto

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore Equipe
G'day All,

Just a quick one. I have a 2001 Equipe Sedan. Overall the vehicle drives very well. No major complaints about it. However one thing I do have hat is getting trying is a rattle in the left hand side of the dah board. It is originating from the vacinity of the passenger side airbag. I was wondering if anyone was familar with a simliar rattle from this area. Any ideas on a solution? Me thinks it is a loose unconnected cable as I DO NOT have SRS bag fitted to the passenger side.

How do I get into behind the panel for the airbag to check if this is it? I am 95% sure it is in this area. I've checked the glove box area (removed it etc and checked). Annoyed my other half with questions like, "can you hear it?" LOL

I would appreciate any assistance you guys can provide on this. Msainly how to safely remove the panel without damaging the dash. I have not been able to fidn anyhting on the net etc on how to do it.

Thanks in advance.

David

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
I have heard of this before and on the passenger side.

I don't believe your alone as I believe this is fairly common in the VT as well.

Here is something I came across
QUOTE I also thought I had a rattle from the steering column/dashboard. Turned out I needed to adjust rubber hood mounts, as they were the source of the noise.

I know you said it's coming from the passenger side dash but I don't know anything is worth a shot.

As for ripping the dash apart, I have no idea but hopefully someone might.

Shiney

Reaction score
G'day guys,

i would take the baby to ur closest holden dealer and they should repair it under the car warrenty.

I own a 2002 vx berlina and a couple of months ago i tried to run from the law . it didnt work and i fucked a few suspension items but i took my car in for a service and they told me about these problems and received all new items all under the warrenty.

Im very happy cos all my mates were tellin me they could here a noise when turnin and it was pissing me off too.

i probably didnt help u at all but it is my first post on the site.

D

dyska

I've found that driving long distance, at a reported 112 kph on the computer most commodores (VX, VXII, VT) develop a rattle in the dashboard just under the trip computer controlls. I tried my uncles VXII R8 and it does it at 112 on cruise, my VXII Exec does it, my friends VX berlina and my better half's uncles VT berlina does it too - must be a design flaw in dash with a particular harmonic. What stumps me is that it's obviously not the engine since v8 and v6 idle at different speeds at 112 kph (correct me if wrong here) and the suspensions are different. as are the wheel radii etc. I'm lost to explain this.

It always happens at 112 though... I usually give the cruise a little click up or down to solve it but it's irritating cos on the hume 112 is speeding but victorian cops can't catch you since they got to give you 2 kph off.

I also get a real bad rattle when my car revs above 4.5K~5K it's sounds **** when i overtake and i'm getting pissed off. If no one has any ideas i'll take car back to have it looked at under warranty.

Dyska
<even if my Holden was a rusty old misfiring no-performance **** box i'd still love it more than any FORD>

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
ok i dont have a vx
but i found a rattle in my vs turns out its a wiring loom clip just above the glovebox .
might be your prob anything is worth a look

El Barto

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore Equipe
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies so far. I still have yet to resolve this one. An ongoing issue. I believe that yes it is a loose wiring loom. I'd really like to know how to remove the 'air bag' panel (don't worry I dont have a passenger bag!). Cause I reckon it is up in that part somewhere.
Any ideas on this one? I've removed the glove box so far, the panel behind this and the kid baords looking for th source. No luck as yet. But it def sounds like it is coming from the vicinity of the air bag compartment.
Cheers

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
I believe that most airbag panels have small breakable clips to hold the panel on, I do not think you can get them off without breaking them! If the car is still under w'tee I'd try that first. I'll see what I can find out for you and re-post in the next couple of days.

Sorry other than stuffed A/C compressors I have yet to see the VX and VT for any major work....but if it helps...everyone I've test driven makes bloody noises behind the dash.

Regards Guy

El Barto

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore Equipe
Thanks Guy.

Appreciate the fact you will have a look for me. I am sort of 'use' to it now. However if I can 'find out' how to solve it I will be very happy!

Cheers

El Barto