Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS 2001 rear main seal oil leak

slattery

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 2001
Hi guys, my VX SS March 2001 build has the dreaded rear main seal oil leak.
i was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent mechanic in the eastern suburbs of melbourne who can fix it for me.
thanks.

sidecar55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1 9.5 Sportwagon/VE SS Series 2 Ute
Make sure they replace the seal/plate assembly. Sometimes the plate leaking is the fault.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Hi guys, my VX SS March 2001 build has the dreaded rear main seal oil leak.
i was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent mechanic in the eastern suburbs of melbourne who can fix it for me.
thanks.

What part of Melbourne East are you looking at? I have a very good mechanic in Blackburn that knows his way around the LS1 engines, usually has a couple of LS powered race cars in the workshop and has serviced my VX SS for the past 5 years without any issues. Not the cheapest but seems to know his stuff.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Are you sure it's the rear main? It's common for oil leaks to come from the oil pressure switch high on the centre rear of the engine. Have a look with a torch and mirror to see if the leaks are coming from there. Removing and resealing the switch is an easy fix if that's your problem.