Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS 5.7 Automatic Transmission - Gears sticking in 3rd'.

John Cusack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 5.7
Hi I'm having problems with gears sticking in 3rd when stopping or slowing down at lights or when accelerating from parked position after car is warmed up. It sometimes jumps back into correct gear-shift if the ignition is turned off and restarted but not last night after I had a service. This has been happening for the past 2 weeks and is a real problem. I told mechanic at the service and he reset the code but it started sticking again 2 hours later and is still a problem. Can anyone help with some suggestions, advice or information to resolve the problem' I'd really appreciate the help'.

John

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Could be a faulty throttle position sensor. When was the last time the trans oil was changed?

Outside of those two you will probably need to take it to somebody to have it diagnosed.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have had several failed TPS' and generally when they go they won't shift much at all. Although I have found at highway speed they can stop it from going into fourth, when they are showing signs of failure. But normally when slowing right down and taking off they will stick in first. Having said that TPS don't always give the same problems every time they go so it could be. I'd be finding out the code that was cleared and going from there. I'd say that will be your biggest clue.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
What was the code number that the mechanic reset? Sounds like your car is going into "limp mode". Refer to the item below from 4L60e Common Problems:

"What is "limp-home mode"? This is a fault mode in which the transmission either loses electrical power or the PCM deactivates all of the electronics. The transmission will default to max line pressure. The driver will have Reverse and 3rd, with manual 2nd available by putting the gearshift in 2 or 1 (doesn't matter which). 1st, 4th, and TCC lockup will not be available. It will not hurt the car to drive it like this for short periods, but use manual 2nd to get the car moving, and be aware that the trans will generate more heat than normal while operating in limp-home mode due to increased torque converter slippage during 2nd gear starts and no lockup in 3rd gear."

24. Car feels sluggish off the line, No 1st, 4th or TCC lockup available, Manual 2nd, 3rd and Reverse are only available gears, CEL is on: Transmission is either in limp-home mode or has lost electrical power. If there are lots of error codes in the PCM, check the under hood fuse that powers the transmission, and if it pops again, look for a short in that circuit like an O2 sensor harness touching exhaust. Otherwise, check PCM codes for a particular fault in the transmission causing the PCM to put it in limp-home mode.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you were close by I'd come around and could tell you if the issue is the TPS.. I have had enough of them fail to get a pretty good idea on the problems they cause. Maybe a Perth WA member can help you out. I assume OP you're not in Perth Tas?

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Holden Statesman V6
Judging by the issues you have mentioned with your SS, i would hazard a guess it might be the TPS causing your issue. i have a WH statesman and had an issue after a new chinese piece of **** TPS was installed where the car wouldnt idle correctly and it would be erratic and after a bit, it wouldnt want to change gear properly or at all in some cases and it was only after 3 months of cursing the car and calling it every name under the sun that we figured out it was the stupid chinese TPS causing all the issues. my father and I put the original GM TPS back on and i have not had an issue since then.

It may be worth your time to check with your mechanic and get your TPS changed with something genuine or something like that and see if that fixes your problem. which hopefully it will.