Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx ss 6.2 ls3 conversion

VX SS 340 HP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS LS1
Hey Just wondering weather any one has converted there LS1 equiped Commodore to an LS3 just wanted to get some info on what i need to change i.e (gearbox, wiring and fuel system) also what sort of coin am i going to be looking at for a brand new motor

SirNemesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
WHII Statesman
About $8k for the motor + knock sensor extension + map sensor extension + 90mm cable throttle body + crank/cam signal converter + injector adapters.

Budget about $10-11k if you are doing the job yourself. Around $14-15k for a workshop.

Whatever gearbox you have now will bolt on and work, but if its an auto it might not last long. The factory fuel system will keep up with a standard cam LS3.

cracker

Reaction score
sounds good in theory but if you do the sums its pretty crap.

power vs effort vs cost

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
imagine what an ls1 could be like with that 10-15k spent on it compared to a standard ls3.

VX SS 340 HP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS LS1
HMM thanks for the ideas and the help im at the point were im not to sure weather i want to keep my LS1 150 000 klm on it and rebuild it with tuff internals or start fresh with a brand new motor weather it be LS1,2 or 3 and go with a N/A setup or Forced Induction...either way its a big decsion that im not in any hurry to make quickly i want to way up all my options and work out which is best for my budget of about 10k to 15k....Also Reliablity is a big part in it as my nearest decent performance shop is 300klm+ away...And Simplicity as majority of work will be done by me...im open to any ideas although at this stage im leaning towards a turbo setup...any HELP would be apprecaited

Vt_vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
carless for now
how much power are you looking for? the cammed l98 is a very popular combo for around 450rwhp

VX SS 340 HP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS LS1
some were bettween 450rwhp and 600rwhp...but how hard would it be to put a L98 in a VX and what sort of money would i be looking at for a motor

Kingston_99

383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
i'd go an bigger motor over the LS1. more cubes= BIG HP!!!!!

if i knew the price for an short block LS3, i would have not wasted my money on a 12K blower for my LS1.

ZaLumina

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Lumina Ute SS
I just imported a LS3 in the crate for one of my customers
We swapping out the stock L98 6.0L froma 2008 SS UTE and fitting the LS3 with all the groceries (cam, cold air, FAST intake etc)
Will let u know when its done