Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS Clutch poped and dropped

christoff2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Hello all, I have a question for anyone who thinks they know.

I was taking off from a set of lights and my clutch seemed to just pop. I could push the pedal but there was no pedal pressure and the clutch wouldn't engage, it was just dead, it seemed like something had snapped but I don't know what.

Anyway I have been told by my mechanic that before he has a look at it I need to know it will be at least $1500 as it will need a new clutch kit which is $800 and it takes 7hs labour to get to the clutch and then put everything back together.

Is this correct?

I would have thought that when you open it up and have a look it may just be the spring or something and may be a less expensive job. Is it true that the whole 'clutch sytem' will need replacing or am I just dealing with a lazy mechanic who would rather just replace the whole clutch system and charge me than find out what broke and replace it?

Very interested in any opinions

Chris.

jet-6

Yer im that guy!
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SX6 ADVENTRA
If i was you id pop the clutch fork boot out and get a little torch and a mirror and have a look inside to see whats at fault, do some research into how your clutch system works and do some of your own simple fault finding 1st!

DVOLVO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS UTE / 5 Litre Volvo /Trusty Swift
If i was you id pop the clutch fork boot

They dont have a clutch fork the slave cylinder is on the main shaft and as far as I know you cant see in the bell housing and if Im wrong I'll also be corrected..

demcars

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR CLUBSPORTA4/ VT/VX SS LOOKALIKE M6 5.7
A FRIEND OF MINE HAD A NEW VY SS AND THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO HIM , STOPPED AT THE LIGHTS WENT TO TAKE OF, NOTHING AT ALL , TURNED OUT TO BE A FAULTY CLUTCH SLAVE (this car had only done 20kms from the dealership )

jet-6

Yer im that guy!
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SX6 ADVENTRA
They dont have a clutch fork the slave cylinder is on the main shaft and as far as I know you cant see in the bell housing and if Im wrong I'll also be corrected..

Ohhh, i stand corrected, cant say ive looked under many VX's

PS id love to see some pics of this direct slave setup, might be able to retro fit it to my project car

Alspos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 Sedan
Mechanic was doing some work on a VX SS when I had my car in. He said that when replacing the clutch in an LS1 car, the flywheel needs to be replaced as they can't be machined. So the bill would finish up around the $1500 mark (flywheel was half that cost apparently.)

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
Ohhh, i stand corrected, cant say ive looked under many VX's

PS id love to see some pics of this direct slave setup, might be able to retro fit it to my project car

without splitting the gearbox and the bellhousing nothing to actually see, just the clutch line going into the bellhousing. good idea but im almost in this boat of having random problems and its a real pain, nothing thats an easily serviceable part or anything. only a bleed nipple

ide say its the slave cylinder mate, had the clutch been slipping at all prior to this going on?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
hydraulics or the centre of the clutch plate has fractured, seen it before