Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS Commodore Airbag code: 85 passenger airbag resistance too high

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Hello fellow commodore owners.
I have a VX SS and my airbag light is always on.
The scan tool shows that it is a code 85 Passenger Airbag Resistance too high.
Has anyone had this code in a VX before and if you did, could you please tell me how you fixed it?
Hope to hear from someone soon.
Warm regards
Mark

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Code 85 doesn’t sound like a Holden code from a VX. It should be a letter followed by four digits.
the letter identifies the fault circuit/which computer is generating the fault alert.
So B is Body. P is Powertrain.
eg. Pxxxx or Bxxxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Code 85 doesn’t sound like a Holden code from a VX. It should be a letter followed by four digits.
the letter identifies the fault circuit/which computer is generating the fault alert.
So B is Body. P is Powertrain.
eg. Pxxxx or Bxxxx
Iinteresting.
I am using a Vident Scanner and when I go into the SRS system, it just says 85 [History] Left Hand Side Airbag Circuit Resistance Too High.
I can't find anything on it so I might just take the passenger seat out and look for any loose wiring in and under the seat and maybe under the dash above the Glove Box.
Thanks for trying to help me. This has got me stumped. MIGHT be one for an auto elec.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You just need an interface that reads the Holden codes. Not all do and few do it well. It sounds like yours is not being helpful.
Once you put a high end interface device on, you’ll get the exact code and not have to wee your time against a wall. Without a starting point (Correct factory codes) you are throwing darts in an empty dark room, at a dart board that someone (your code reader) has promised you is in there.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would also be seriously careful poking around with airbag wiring.
Make sure the battery is disconnected. The airbag fuse pulled and residual current left to dissipate for 10-15mins before touching the airbag circuits or things associated with them.
Not a fun ride if one goes off.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Code 85 doesn’t sound like a Holden code from a VX. ........

SRS (airbag) codes for VT/VX are a different format/range to Powertrain etc. codes. Refer to the attached for DTC 85 info for VTI and VTII (VX is the same as VTII):

Attachments

• DTC 85 - LEFT HAND SIDE AIR BAG CIRCUIT RESISTANCE TOO HIGH.pdf
    372.4 KB · Views: 305
  • 3.3 SRS SELF DIAGNOSTICS.pdf
    241.6 KB · Views: 232
  • VTII SRS Changes.pdf
    293.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Hi all.
Just thought I would post this in relation to my 85 airbag code JUST IN CASE someone has a similar problem.
Long story short:
Replaced my clock spring because airbag light always on and horn didn't work (or if it did, only now and then).
Clockspring fixed horn issue but airbag light still on.
Took passenger seat out and cleaned all airbag related contacts under the seat as well as the side impact sensor inside the centre pillar with electrical contact cleaner only. Did not fix air bag light.
Took centre console out and cleaned yellow airbag connector and then took out the airbag module and cleaned all connections with contact cleaner spray and reconnected - PROBLEM FIXED.
Sincere thank you to those who tried to help me.
No doubt, I will be back again for help with an issue that is beyond me.
Regards