Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS Commodore - My diary.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
@afstruct Yeah those mods are likely to wake your car up alot more...especially the exhaust/tune. Its a slippery slide though because you do one thing and another 2 things pop up (unexpected addons...bigger injectors or fuel pump...small stuff that you dont add into your budget)

@gtrboyy Yeah I always feel that late model commodores are spoilt for power and options!! 7ltr, charged with bi-model..thats spoilt lol

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
update time... after nearly 4 months, waiting for parts, fabrication etc I got a txt around 1 o'clock that my car is ready. Jump in the courtesy car, return that and pick up mine. First impression was, awesome. Its fairly quiet...none of that bark that some people like. Supercharger has a little whine. Enough to know its there but its not slapping you around the face. Still sounds cammy as I kept my original cam (235/243) Its exactly how I wanted it.

Jump in go for a drive...holy crap. I know people have more powerful cars than this but for me this thing is a beast. Went down to the industrial area and tested her out. Wow what a drive.
I then went to a mates workshop...showed him what I've had done and on the way out gave it a little stick...nothing silly and BANG...3rd gear gone.
By 2 o'clock the car was back at the workshop.
My last trans was built around my car being cammed and 400hp. New trans is going to be fully built to hopefully cope. I'm a little surprised that it gave up the ghost so easily though.

One thing I do know is that my usual little run up the street is a complete waist of time with this engine. It would be just a demonstration of wheel spin I might just do a controlled one for the sound bite (and wait for all the thumbs down on youtube lol)
Videos will come when I get the tranny in the right place.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Guessing something to do with input drum/sun shell if broke suddenly.

Would have expected clutches start to slip or burn up the transmission issues especially on first day back you'd go easy on it...then down track first time you beat on it trans would blow up like most 4l60e would lol.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I knew the transmission was going to be an issue to keep an eye on though wasn't expecting things to break so quickly.
I didn't hear anything....was on the thottle and listening to the engine and wheels spin...not even full throttle, then I just drove it home normally not even noticing.
It wasn't until I jumped back in the car to fix up my account with the mechanic that I felt it. I thought it was the converter but he confirmed it was 3rd gear so fixed up my account and left the car there again. I think they have named their hoist after my car because it just stubbornly refuses to leave lol And they thought they were getting their hoist back ...:rolleyes:
Anyway been googling 4l60's and it seems that they can reliably be built to run the numbers of my engine but as usual the better gear costs.
Also the problem with building a transmission for someone like me is if I was building an engine you know what brand crank, pistons rods etc and that can be researched (as a non mechanic). Transmissions are a little different. For me I'm totally at the mercy of the builder. I'll spend the rest of the time 'till monday googling up as much as I can and then speak to him for what he says he can deliver.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've never heard of Craigs before though it seems (from googling) it has a loyal base. I might contact them this week to see what they recommend.

This is a LONG video of a 4l60e build but its awesome and the guy deserves a thumbs up for his generosity of his time.
Its an hour and a half...and if your at the later end of your night tv and looking for something to watch with a little technical to get through...well...

rebuilding a 4l60e....

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Yeah I knew the transmission was going to be an issue to keep an eye on though wasn't expecting things to break so quickly.
I didn't hear anything....was on the thottle and listening to the engine and wheels spin...not even full throttle, then I just drove it home normally not even noticing.
It wasn't until I jumped back in the car to fix up my account with the mechanic that I felt it. I thought it was the converter but he confirmed it was 3rd gear so fixed up my account and left the car there again. I think they have named their hoist after my car because it just stubbornly refuses to leave lol And they thought they were getting their hoist back ...:rolleyes:
Anyway been googling 4l60's and it seems that they can reliably be built to run the numbers of my engine but as usual the better gear costs.
Also the problem with building a transmission for someone like me is if I was building an engine you know what brand crank, pistons rods etc and that can be researched (as a non mechanic). Transmissions are a little different. For me I'm totally at the mercy of the builder. I'll spend the rest of the time 'till monday googling up as much as I can and then speak to him for what he says he can deliver.
Why not go the 6l90 conversion?

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
Why not go the 6l90 conversion?

I hadn't really given it any thought to be honest. The recommendation was to go to a t400 which is an unappealing prospect at this stage as I want to get this car engineered and they wont pass it with a t400.
And I just assumed the difficulty and cost of a later modern trans would be out of my price range.
Been reading a little about it since I seen your post though and seems fairly easily achievable.
This post is a pretty easy one to follow doing a conversion into a vt-vz with a 6l80e
I'll see the transmission guy tomorrow and see what my options are

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
From questions I've asked is can run 4l60e or add extra speed sensor/wiring to harness to 4l80e....apparently 6l80e is no go unless later ve fbw setups.

Was at Haltech the other day asking questions apparently 6l80e is different kettle of fish...that aside 6l90 is even bigger physically hence lsa cars built differently.

Craigs was first in Oz to fcuk with 4l60e even ran 11's in early days in 4l60e orange vu ss ute...depending on power level & style of driving even they'll tell you whether to stay 4l60e or go th400 for more 'spirited' drivers.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I recommend Craigs, they built my 4l60e to their 600hp specs and then tuned it to suit

Great guys to deal with

The thing is with the 2300 is the amount of torque it produces down low

My LS1 with a 2300 has a 85mm pulley, the biggest and lowest boost available, even so it is more than doubling the torque, something around 950nm at 2.5k rpm, the standard 4l60e transmission doesn't stand a chance

Drag radials, you need a set of drag radials, my 200tw 255 RS4's don't stand a chance

What pulleys are you using on the front and rear?

I'm thinking of going the gilmer rear in 1: 1.14 for a couple more psi and some more whine