Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS Commodore - My diary.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
So, installed a new aeroflow trans cooler to the 4L today...wont make any difference to the reliability of it but its the same trans cooler I'm using on my t400 build so just another step taken ....

rDWzy6DpkBCwTVPzwakAQBxhWaihZJZDpqDiWEbv2i_rMrBf9ZFAFQgbRqkJLVFeDhD8gkCpDgxjAYO22Y1Kb-TV4-euKcVN20DzEJKnJci-0HBcL80LGQeawV2K6MOBaFhoP0JLgA=w2400

Mentioning the t400...I also picked that up today, ready for the rebuild..

CPuwbOOec4W29dM5AmMFQ1ovd31dYYLlzgsrUf9gQzGfEPJFSlseATrIfy5t4tabQK2RQl4jpfNaDTdOCFJhmi-xroexLFqVzoRA5jRL-ptHmn83cJJKUpUiLabDfVjOowRX6aClCA=w2400

and just ordered a B&m 81125 shifter. Its a low profile shifter which also doesn't have any of those little lockout tabs that make these shifters look so ugly

GgDJfHJ8CCc-Ny0tYX_q1OzfFwZ7Jo0ttLxnaAgiXHEF0nbuejuOdWVZO5E_BiX7mA1n8CBvfcHzOhBr7vqmtdmnTcvsmY9wf891YznOCyDtQ4hVtWNvcwn9u972ovQVl7rw18TU0w=w2400

I watched this vid that gave me the inspiration (Latys Garage, youtube) I hope he doesn't mind me linking his vid...great vid with a great end result...

I just hope it works on my car being a little older than his, minus that horrible knob..

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I have the same cooler to fit. Would be good to see how you mounted and plumbed yours.

How did you wire it to keep it tidy?
Also have you bypassed the radiator all together?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
So, installed a new aeroflow trans cooler to the 4L today...wont make any difference to the reliability of it but its the same trans cooler I'm using on my t400 build so just another step taken ....

rDWzy6DpkBCwTVPzwakAQBxhWaihZJZDpqDiWEbv2i_rMrBf9ZFAFQgbRqkJLVFeDhD8gkCpDgxjAYO22Y1Kb-TV4-euKcVN20DzEJKnJci-0HBcL80LGQeawV2K6MOBaFhoP0JLgA=w2400

Mentioning the t400...I also picked that up today, ready for the rebuild..

CPuwbOOec4W29dM5AmMFQ1ovd31dYYLlzgsrUf9gQzGfEPJFSlseATrIfy5t4tabQK2RQl4jpfNaDTdOCFJhmi-xroexLFqVzoRA5jRL-ptHmn83cJJKUpUiLabDfVjOowRX6aClCA=w2400

and just ordered a B&m 81125 shifter. Its a low profile shifter which also doesn't have any of those little lockout tabs that make these shifters look so ugly

GgDJfHJ8CCc-Ny0tYX_q1OzfFwZ7Jo0ttLxnaAgiXHEF0nbuejuOdWVZO5E_BiX7mA1n8CBvfcHzOhBr7vqmtdmnTcvsmY9wf891YznOCyDtQ4hVtWNvcwn9u972ovQVl7rw18TU0w=w2400

I watched this vid that gave me the inspiration (Latys Garage, youtube) I hope he doesn't mind me linking his vid...great vid with a great end result...

I just hope it works on my car being a little older than his, minus that horrible knob..
He also fitted a turbo 400 to his. That’s what is going on yours?

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
He also fitted a turbo 400 to his. That’s what is going on yours?
Yes I'm going to attempt to replicate what he has done. Low profile shifter, no huge shifter with lockout tabs etc.. If it can look like a manual shifter then that suits me. Not after the drag racing look and like he says in that youtube vid....if a cop sticks his head in the cabin for a look....it doesn't look like a drag car.
As far as the cooler is concerned they sent that one back and upgraded it again. Installation is a pretty easy fit (for space), even with my oil cooler (from the charger install, another radiator stuffed in the front). There is a cross member that has been removed (looks like it ties in the left and right front end), a custom mounting bracket made so that the trans cooler has a gap from the oil cooler from the charger(oil cooler). Plumbing I haven't seen yet as they are waiting on fittings. Its a bit hard to explain without a few pics.
The T400 has gone to the trans builder...gonna get the bell housing machined with the suitable replacement so it fits the car and have to wait a while before I can get it built and dropped in. Unfortunately atm its turned into a garage queen.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
So an update coming shortly. Passed on the t400 I purchased to be built and imported a built t400 from the states. Still going to go for the short shift look from the previous video but I'll wait till further work before I proceed. ie engineering
But in the mean time I have this week, a set of 6 piston Wilwoods going on the front, 4's on the rear, new lines and new bigger master cylinder etc.
The steering rack and bushings etc on the front end to be replaced.
A de-tune and hopefully an engineering cert to go on. Fingers crossed. I'll detail complications as they happen ;)
Then its time to push a little more boost...goal is to get 700-750 on 98. Mechanic is nudging me more to 700...we'll see !!

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
What are the Wilwood and disc specs, do they fit under 17" rims?

I do want some

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also, once that’s done, are you willing to share who did the work?

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Ginger, you will need minimum 18 inch wheel for these 6 pistons to fit. They are quite a big brake setup and the rotors are huge compared to what came off. The rear brakes look like what was on the front.

Fu, Kwinana performance have their own guy for engineering and have done nearly all the work. I believe he's quite firm on his reports so will be interesting to see what and how much its going to cost for a pass. I dont think he's going to like my staggered rims for a start, fingers crossed he lets it slide. He needs a side by side dyno run and I believe they have to take out 120-130hp for it to pass. I think 470 is where they like it.

edit - Link to front brakes

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
They did your motor too?