Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS Commodore - My diary.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Do you have a graph of the torque curve ?

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
no...thats all they gave me...now you mention it I'll go back and ask for it. I actually thought that the dyno automatically did both readings on the same chart. Is there a reason why torque would be omitted?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Is there a reason why torque would be omitted?

Maybe they didn't click that button on the pooter ?

Most people seem to only want to know max power figures which, in real life, don't mean much coz how often does one drive at those revs ?

Bottom end torque improvement is the key for the street coz that's where you generally live on the street.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just went down there and he basically said that being a stock cam that there is not much of a torque graph to look at.
He printed it out for me anyway..

wvH3jQpQgK6UxG-vbvO72jDZNuPQNRXYvHJ3r60DN5GXJHeUsGjbE7VRRYhPxKKQ_wY5nxinyQVnwfevW6e-zPYy-W-hMPx4jDYuwjRfUUKKSGpywISimeNdvuPcgA5MCJP1GvsCpw=w2400

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Decent power for stock engine vx auto...must still be a healthy one lol.

Can't remember if better manifold started on vy or vx,suppose to be small gain over vt version.

If doing cam/lifters have a look into getting heads skimmed 20-30 thou as reckon that makes most of the gain on dyno when dudes get cnc heads.

Downside is all little things start to add up like pushrods,trunion upgrade,lifters...

Plenty of d.i.y things to keep you busy whilst saving like....throttle body water bypass,full throttle mod,de-dagging manifold,heat insulation under intake & if not done already catchcan.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've had a couple of quotes that have ranged from just over 5k to around 8k. 5k was for cam/converter. 8k was for a complete top end rebuild/converter.. Its quite a difference. The guy at 8k was probably the best in his customer service. Family business but explained everything including the heads being shaved and the rest of the usual, valve springs, lifters etc.
I figured the quote at 5k would probably end up to 8k in the end anyway.
The car is basically a 2 owner (3 including me). The last owner bought it off a funeral director in Bunbury after it was 12 months old and then he owned it till I bought it. Older guy too so I'm assuming it was well looked after or lightly driven. I bought it at 168k and in the past couple of years have had 9k put on it.

I've just made a small update video (similar to the other video's in this post). It really is quite a different car from when I first got it

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I just went down there and he basically said that being a stock cam that there is not much of a torque graph to look at.
He printed it out for me anyway..

wvH3jQpQgK6UxG-vbvO72jDZNuPQNRXYvHJ3r60DN5GXJHeUsGjbE7VRRYhPxKKQ_wY5nxinyQVnwfevW6e-zPYy-W-hMPx4jDYuwjRfUUKKSGpywISimeNdvuPcgA5MCJP1GvsCpw=w2400

Nice power , I've got 422 , but huge torque increase = supercharger = stock cat back, airbox , maf meter still fiscally in line.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hi guys..new here but thought I might start a dairy of where this is gonna take my car.
Just turned 50 so I think this car will end up being my mid life crisis :p
I recently bought a bone stock vx that had 168k klm's on the clock. Was clean and seemed well looked after. The trim is good and the panels just had a few car park dents in it. Not bad for a car of its age. Bought a cheap pdr of ebay and sorted most out.
Mechanically fine too. Lifters rattle for the first second or 2 before going away. I have been told that lifters can be a problem on ls1's but it does go away quickly so I'm just guessing that it might just be the character of the motor.
I have replaced the radiator and water pump and full service, new plugs, leads etc.
The car was pretty dirty and flat and this was day one after getting her home.
View attachment 203946
View attachment 203947
View attachment 203948

I gave her a buff and polish and ended up with this...

View attachment 203950
Came up pretty good after the buff. I then decided on a set of om-1 simmons wheels. 20x9.5 and 20x8.5 staggered and 245 tyres. Replaced the badges side and rear and the chrome was flaking off, the door jam protectors etc

View attachment 203952
View attachment 203953
View attachment 203951
then I decided to paint the mud flaps... lol yeah I know its small but it really made a difference in my eyes. Most people think that mud flaps have no place but I like them..

View attachment 203954
View attachment 203955

So other than a few other small things like the white venetians on the back, replacing the drivers door lock that suddenly seized, installing a kill switch etc...thats about all I've done so far.

The next few mods I hope to do in the next few months.
I have her booked in for a set of stainless pacemakers and manta exhaust. The exhaust has been a difficult choice as there is so much opinion on them but I feel that I should be pretty close to the mark with this combo. 2.5 inch seems to be everyone's recommendation. I'll upload a vid of the before and after's when done.

Next on the list is a 3.9 truetrac diff and I also want to get the auto shifts tightened up a little at the same time.

next would be the cam and cai. No idea on that front. I will have to trust the mechanics choice on that one. Its gonna be a well driven car so I dont want a drag pig but I definately want it to sound like it has a cam.

After all thats done then thats really where the story begins I guess with how far I go with it..

Chuck

VERY Nice indeed, the Polish and Buff has brought it up, looks great,
I did the same to my VY, as the paint had oxidise a bit,
User a paint Cleaner, then a Polish, and then a Wet Look Wax, [all Meguiars Products] and its looked great,
hang on to it, because it maybe a collectors item soon, after what was announced the other day,
I was taking to a wreckers in Geelong not long ago [approx. 10 months ago], as I bought LSD off him for my VY, and he said to hang on to mine, and other owners of VTs > VZ's should hang on to them,
as they will be worth bit more I a few years if they are clean units.
[That was his exact words]
PS: Always liked the VX SS, something about its shape and syle.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Cam only seems to generally give approx 260-280rwkw. Add heads and that generally seems to add 20-30rwkw. But since a dyno’s just a tuning tool the numbers really mean nothing when compared to numbers from another dyno.

You can have 2 identical dyno’s and they’ll still read differently. Tyre pressures, diff gears, converter and how tight it’s strapped down has a massive impact.